Wishes

Viryn's face was lit up from the light purple glow of the tree of souls. She ran brushed her hands across them to feel the smooth feel against her hand. The long tendrils of the sacred tree gently swayed thanks to the cool breeze. The rustle of the tree almost sounded like a voice or many voices speaking together.

She pulled the braid over her shoulder and held up the queue to the tendril. There was a cool sensation in her brain that tingled her fingers. The teen licked her lips and collected her thoughts. "Great mother." She whispered to the tree like she wished to tell it a secret. "I'm frightened." Viryn could hear the faint voices of her ancestors whispering in her mind. Their voices so clear but she couldn't make out their words. "There will be conflict, I can feel it coming." She put her forehead against the pale purple branches. The tendrils were not warm or cold but she could almost feel the glow on her face. "Please, protect us. Defend us from these foreign invaders." "The great mother does not trifle in our affairs." Mo'at spoke behind Viryn. "She has gone against the Sky people before, I had only hoped that she will again." Viryn pulled her queue from the tendril.

"Come, child. There is much to learn before you become Tsahik." Mo'at gently pulled Viryn's shoulder away from the lights. After one more look Viryn scurried after the Tsahik.

"Hurry along. We must not keep them waiting long." Mo'at walked through the open space away from the sacred tree. Her powerful strides keeping her well ahead of the much younger Na'vi. "Them? Who is waiting for us? I thought only Kiri would be joining us." Mo'at hummed as she began to approach her tent. It could not be seen a good distance away but Viryn could smell it. Rooty herbs and an almost sweet plants were almost constantly being burned in the Tsahik's home. The space was a short trek away from the sacred place.

Viryn had been going nearly every week to train under the current Tsahik in the art of healing. As her previous protege, Kiri also was present while teaching her. Even if she was younger there was a wisdom to her that Viryn found interesting. Kiri was better by far since she had been helping her grandmother for ages but the two were patient with her. There were so many small differences between the remedies that must never be forgotten if she wasn't to actually treat someone. A beaded covering that hung over her doorway offered her more privacy. Beads that matched the shawl the older woman always wore over her shoulders. Mo'at lifted the beaded strings and entered the dwelling, small wisps of smoke seeped out. A smell of herbs burned Viryn's nose slightly. "You will be putting what I have taught you the past weeks to the test." Viryn blinked in surprise to see Neteyam and Lo'ak sitting in the tent with their legs crossed.

The two waved at her. "We have to diagnose them." Kiri sighed next to her. "I assume you want Neteyam?" Viryn swallowed her spit in the wrong pipe at the comment. A mild coughing fit commenced, 

"Just do as I have shown you." Mo'at did not acknowledge the flush that was on Viryn's face. A hand was clamped over her mouth as she let out another throaty coughs However Kiri and Lo'ak exchanged a teasing look towards the pair. Lo'ak even wiggled his brows at Viryn with a smile. "Go on." Mo'at gestured for them to commence. Viryn composed herself and thumped her chest to force herself to stop coughing. "Right." For a moment she seemingly forgotten everything she had learned. Diagnose them? Of what? They both were perfectly fine so what was she supposed to do?

She kneeled next to the boy and shuffled to get comfortable. "Hi." He whispered to her with an easy smile. "Hi." Viryn smiled shyly back. She swallowed and went into the crevices of her mind to try and remember what she was supposed to do. "I'm going to check you heart rate." She lifted her hand and to place her two fingers on his neck. "Let me know if you're uncomfortable." Viryn knew her hands were cold as soon as she brushed her fingers brushed against his neck and felt the warm. "Sorry, my hands are cold." Viryn's smile was crooked. "It's fine." She gingerly placed her fingers on his neck. "You will not be able to feel his heart by only touching the skin." Mo'at grabbed Viryn's wrist and pushed so that her fingers dug into Neteyam's neck firmly. Intuitively Viryn lifted her other had to hold his head. "Better." Mo'at said before she turned her attention to Kiri.