Uno Reverse

"You can feed them." Tsireya offered Viryn a piece of fish. Merq'ena was already petting her ilu, the smooth creature clicking as it swam around her in circles. But Viryn was more hesitant. "They really like it." Tuk said over by the rocks. The Sully kids were given a break from their own training to watch the two girls learn to ride the ilus. Viryn looked at the fish and the ilu who was waiting for it eagerly. It looked at her head on with its smiling mouth slightly parted. It kind of reminded her of Kri. "Ok." Viryn nodded and gingerly picked up the piece of fish. Carefully dangling it the ilu seemed to sense her nervousness and slowly took the piece of fish in its mouth. Once she let go the ilu snapped its jaws to swallow the fish whole. It really reminded her of Kri.

"Good." Tsireya giggled at the pleased expression on Viryn's face. "Now you get on." The Metkayina girl patted Merq'ena's ilu's back and held it still. Merq'ena nodded and placed her hands over the back of the water creature. With the pressing of her palms Merq'ena lifted herself from the water and onto its back by lifting her leg to the other side. "Get comfortable." Tsireya instructed. The taller girl lowered herself fully and grabbed hold of the saddle handle at the front.

"Now you just make tsaheylu." Merq'ena was handed the queue of the ilu. She reach over over her shoulder and pulled her braid over her shoulder. When the hair parted to reveal the waving mass of nerves Merq'ena made the bond with the ilu. The creature shuddered but did not move against Tsireya. "Now you can go." The girl let go of the ilu to give Merq'ena space to move.

At first Merq'ena slowly lead the ilu to the left in a smooth but small circle. The water parting easily as she remained above the surface. "Great job." Tsireya clapped excitedly. "Go under water!" Tuk squealed with her hands in the air. Merq'ena smiled in delight as she smoothly swarm around. "You're next." Tsireya moved the ilu into the same position. Viryn studied the ilu as it happily accepted pets from Tsireya. She was worried how much pressure would be uncomfortable for the ilu. What if she was too heavy for it? What if there was a spot that she shouldn't touch?

"Don't overthink it." Neteyam shouted from his spot on the rocks. Viryn nodded more to herself and put her hands on the ilu's. She tested the spot by gently applying slow pressure to be sure that she wouldn't hurt it if she lifted herself up onto it. Viryn sucked in a breath and pulled herself up. The water from hair dripped down her back like small streams along her spine as she settled onto the ilu. Her hand went to her braid and pulled it over her shoulder. When she made tsaheylu she shivered at the feel of the ilu beneath. It made a series of clicking sounds as it shook its head.

Tsireya stepped back and gave her an encouraging smile. Viryn tightly gripped onto the handle and thought of slowly skimming over the water. The ilu listened to her and slowly moved forward. "Look, they both did better than you." Neteyam teased while nudging Lo'ak's shoulder. Viryn held her breath as she slowly descended into the water. Her eyes had yet to fully adjust to the ocean which made her vision blurry.

With the ilu she could move more freely in the water, the push of the water against her felt like a heavier and slower version of wind. Underwater the world felt like she was floating with all the fish swimming around her. Viryn pushed her free hair back as it floated over her eyes when she slowed down. She should have braided it back to keep it away from her face. The urge to breathe quickly urged her to return to the surface.

Viryn sucked in a gasp as her head broke through the surface. She instantly went to push her hair away from her face and squeeze all the excess water that was absorbed but it. "Maybe we should braid our hair back." Merq'ena laughed as she was squeezing enough water out of her own hair to water a small forest.

"Very good." Tsireya said pleased. The Metkayina girl was wearing a sweet smile on her face as her hands pressed together into small claps. Aonung looked indifferent to the new revelation. Viryn smiled and sat awkwardly on top of the ilu. "Now I can beat you at flying and swimming." Neteyam said as he approached them on the rocky platform. "For your information I have you beat three to one." Viryn smiled. "You wish." Neteyam laughed as he got down on his own ilu. "Why would I wish for something true?" Viryn smirked as she moved out of his reach.