Hopeful Romantic

Viryn looked up from her food sensing a pair of eyes on her. She scanned the crowd as she chewed, the food filling up one of her cheeks so she looked half like a chipmunk. A pair of blue eyes tilted their head at her yellow ones shyly. She tilted her head at the Metkayina teen. She had seen her before.

"Hello." She greeted. The girl looked back up to make sure Viryn was talking to her. "Hi." The girl smiled awkwardly. "Can I help you?" Viryn felt herself be suspicious. She had seen the girl speaking Tsireya and her brother when they were approaching them before training. She had never taken in part with the teasing thankfully.

"Sorry." The girl nervously looked at the girl and back at her hands. "I just. Your clothes." Viryn felt her eye narrow preparing for an insult. "It's cool." The girl gestured to Viryn's beaded top. It was a beaded top that was strapped to her with matching strings. The main section of her garment that laid over her chest also ended in large red beads that looked like scarlet rain drops and shook with each of her movements.

"Thank you." Viryn smiled. "I like yours." The girl was wearing a woven top that was connected at her collarbone by a half of a clam shell. It wasn't as colourful as Viryn's clothes but the subtle intricacies of it did not escape her notice.

"Thanks." The girl grinned and looked down at her attire happily. "My name's Viryn." She introduced herself. "Heryl." (He-rill) The two girls exchanged a smile. "You're friends with Tsireya, right?" Heryl nodded. "Since we could walk." Viryn glanced at Tsireya seated with her brother next to their parents.

"I've been meaning to approach you." She tucked her braided hair back from her shoulders. "It's just, you guys have garnered quite a reputation." Viryn hummed, reaching for a crustacean from the bowl.

"What reputation?" Viryn snapped the crustacean's head off, the crack sound was clean without any struggle. She was getting better at taking apart the food there. "They're just, slow to change." Heryl tried to not get into the topic but looking down at her own food.

"Are you?" Heryl blinked for a moment, her pouty lips parted while she tried to think. "Aonung was a jerk to treat you guys the way he has, and everyone is just as bad for letting it happen."

The girl looked up with her bright blue eyes back to Viryn's yellow. "Our Olo'eyktan said to treat you as our brothers and sisters. I will listen to my Olo'eyktan."

Viryn smiled lightly at Heryl. "Will you be coming with us to the cove of ancestors?" Heryl nodded. "I'll keep Aonung on his best behaviour." Viryn's eyes widened. "I don't know what we are." Heryl rolled her eyes as she looked to the tall boy.

"He's so confusing." The Metkayina girl groaned. "And I feel weird talking to Tsireya about it." Viryn looked over to her own son of an Olo'eyktan. Though in her humble opinion, he was much clearer on their relationship than how she presumed Aonung was.

"Have you brought it up to him?" Viryn watched as Ronal gingerly rubbed Aonung's cheek. The teen boy quickly pulled away from his mother's concerned hand with a whine.

"Kinda." Heryl shrugged. "He gets all quiet whenever I do." She flipped her hair. The wavy ends that resembled Tsireya's bouncing as they settled at her back. Viryn slowly peeled the outer shell of her crustacean. Mostly focused on the conversation.

"How did you and the eldest son do it?" Viryn widened her eyes so that you could see the whites outside of her yellow iris. "You guys are clearly together." Heryl tilted her chin towards Neteyam that sat a few people down from them. "I saw you guys reuniting on the beach."

Heryl clasped her hand and rested her cheek against it. "Too cute." She sighed dreamily. Viryn grew purple. "How did you and him get like that?" Viryn glanced over her shoulder. Neteyam was teasing Lo'ak with Kiri, the two whispering to Lo'ak on either side with smirks.