Chapter 7: Beautiful Fighting

Just then, someone says, "What's this, Epel? Are you shirking your vocal practice to parley with the pigeons?"

Epel becomes startled, "Ah! Vil..."

Briar and the others turn their heads to see Vil Schoenheit enter the scene. Briar remembers seeing him at the meetings and a bit around school. And as usual, the guy is practically sparkling.

"So that's Vil Schoenheit, the Pomefiore housewarden," Deuce says.

"Dude! He looks so regal up close, it's actually imposing," Ace says.

Grim is just as surprised, "I feel small just lookin' at him!"

"I know," Jasper agrees.

"He's almost sparkling," Sereia says.

"Somebody get this guy a crown," Jasper softly says.

Suddenly, Vil says, "You there. Spudlings."

"Myah? Are you talkin' to us?" Grim asks, confused.

"Who else would I be addressing?" Vil replies, and says, "This is a critical time for Epel. We have less than two months until the SDC. He has no time to waste playing with unwashed spuds. Do not disturb him during his rehearsals."

"Excuse me?" Ace questions.

"We weren't trying to disturb him," Deuce says.

Then Epel tries to explain, in a different tone, "Vil, they ain't done nothin' to deserve how you're talkin'! Ah was..." But quickly changes his tone, "Ahem. I was—"

But Vil interrupts him, "Epel, how many times have I told you to avoid improper contractions and double negatives? How are you supposed to get anywhere if you break character any time your emotions grow heated? You'll never be a bright red poison apple at this rate. Come, Epel. We're leaving."

"But honestly, I'd rather be—" Epel says.

However, Vil sternly says, "Have you forgotten our agreement? Now come."

"Rgh..." Epel replies, slightly upset.

Before Vil and Epel can leave, Ace steps in, "Hey, hold up. I don't care if you ARE housewarden. He doesn't wanna go."

"And I don't appreciate you callin' us potatoes the moment you meet us," Grim says.

"And one of the things I can't stand are bullies," Jasper says.

Deuce quickly says, "G-guys, no! The headmage's told us repeatedly that fighting's against the rules!"

"I'm afraid Deuce is right. Forcing someone to do something against their will is never okay, but we promise to not get ourselves into any more fights here," Briar says.

"We already got into trouble when you guys get into a few fights here," Sereia worriedly says.

Trinket tinks in concern.

"Exactly. I'll be fine, really..." Epel says

Just then, Vil says with a calm smile, "Heh. Mere tubers dare to challenge my authority? A bold move. Then sternly says, "This should make for a fine post-meal workout. Try me. I'll make mashed potatoes out of the lot of you."

"Uh oh," Sereia says, worried.

"This doesn't look good," Briar says.

"I have to agree. Truth is, Vil is very strong, I don't know if they stand a chance," Epel says, worried.

Briar then turns to Epel and asks, "Still, are you okay?"

"Sort of. I'm mean, I am almost, but I'm also not okay about all this," Epel says.

"The fight or uh, Vil?" Sereia asks.

Epel is not sure how to answer it.

Excluding, Epel, Briar, Sereia, Trinket, and Tanzanite. Ace, Deuce, Grim, and Jasper charge at Vil and prepare to fight him. However, Vil brings out his magepen and with grace and elegance, performs powerful magic and practically knocks the four of their feet and sends them crashing to the ground. The battle is over just as it started, much to Tanzanite and the girls' amazement.

"Wow. That was over in seconds..." Sereia says.

"Vil's magic's impressive, but wow, that poise," Briar says.

"And he performed his magic elegantly and perfectly. He certainly has powerful magic," Tanzanite says.

Vil says to the group on the ground, "Your moves are all utterly unchoreographed. It's embarrassing to watch, frankly—and woefully inelegant, to boot. You get a five out of one hundred. Next time you pick a fight, think twice about who you're challenging."

"Ah... They took all that because of me..." Epel says, surprised.

"My, I must seem like quite the villain," Vil replies.

Then sternly says to Epel, "But know this, Epel—the fault lies entirely with you for skipping your rehearsals during the holidays. There is much work yet to be done if we are to earn our places as SDC finalists. You don't get to be number one by relaxing. Now come."

"Yes, sir..." Epel says, sadly.

Then turns to the others and says, "See you later, guys."