Chapter 68: Driven Determination

Sometime later, in the halls of the coliseum, everyone who is performing is waiting for the show.

"Ten minutes to showtime..." Jamil says.

They'll be calling on us to stand by any moment now. Let's get backstage and—ngh!" Vil says, and feels pain in his body.

Rook asks in concern, "Are you certain you're all right, Vil?"

I've taken a painkiller potion and covered up my scratches with makeup," Vil says.

"Are you sure? What happened took a lot out of you," Briar asks, concerned.

"I'll be fine," Vil says.

"Oui. If you say so," Rook says.

Just then, Epel says, "Vil! Um... Please let me take the center spot!"

"What?!" Everyone asks in shock.

"Epel, are you seriously dropping that on us at the last second?" Ace says, shocked.

Then Epel says, "Ace is right. Why would we change it up right before we go on?"

"Fillin' Vil's shoes ain't exactly easy," Grim says.

"But just look at Vil. He's barely vertical!" Epel says.

Everyone turns to see that Epel does have a point. Vil has been badly bruised and weakened from the battle. The only reason why he doesn't appear is because of the painkillers and makeup.

Epel then says to Vil, "Vil, you said we had to win this, but what if you run out of stamina right on stage? I don't wanna see you embarrass yourself in front of an audience!"

"Monsieur Pommette..." Rook replies.

Epel continues, "I've kept my agreement with you. I've grown way stronger and more charming than when I first enrolled. I'm not just cute and sweet. I'm a legit poison apple now. I'll take Neige down. So please...!"

Vil calmly smiles and says, ""Heh... You've grown bold. Worry not, though. As long as the spotlight shines on me... I wouldn't leave the stage even were I to be struck by an errant boulder. I'm going to keep struggling to the bitter end. I won't lose hope in my victory. That's what real villains do. So give this villain a chance to stay on stage to the very last."

Epel is surprised to see Vil is still willing to perform, despite how weakened he is.

However, Epel respects Vil's decision, "All right. If you're really set on it."

Then Vil huffs, "Hmph. Do you even have room to worry about others, Epel? You tend to start making mistakes as soon as you feel eyes on you. Have you forgotten the way you flubbed the hook at the audition?"

"H-hey! You don't have to bring that up now!" Epel cries out, embarrassed.

"You asked me to give you the center role. I expect you to captivate the hearts of the audience, my poison apple," Vil says.

"...Yes, sir!" Epel replies.

Just then, a film crew member walks over and says, "Attention Briar Hawthrone. It's almost time to go on. Please stand by! Night Raven College entrant, you'll be going on stage after! Please stand by!"

Briar blushes, "Well, I guess it's time."

"Yes, this is it," Vil says.

"Let's go bag ourselves a first place trophy, huh?" Ace says.

Deuce says, "Yeah! I worked myself up so much earlier, I'm actually relaxed now!"

"Aw right! I'mma captivate those viewers' hearts!" Epel says with a smirk.