Chapter 24: A Brand New Song

Sometime later, everyone arrives in the Ballroom of Pomefiore Dorm. Dressed in their Gym Clothes, the group is ready to practice.

Vil claps his hands and calls out, "Come join me once you're done with your calisthenics. The song we'll be presenting at the Song & Dance Championship is now ready for us.

"Oh, so it's an original song?" Jamil asks, "Pretty impressive for a school music presentation."

"Composing original tracks for the SDC has been the norm for several years now," Vil says, "Let me be clear about this undertaking. The SDC is not a beauty contest or fashion show.

Scores are based on singing ability, dancing skill, and the degree to which a given song befits its performers."

That criteria's...kind of vague," Deuce replies

Vil continues, "Look at it this way: you know how some people look odd or uncomfortable in certain clothing? It would negatively impact a group's score to select a song poorly suited to its members' vocal capabilities or general image. Imagine elementary schoolers performing gritty blues or heavy metal. No matter how good at singing they might be, the choice of song would inevitably clash with their aesthetics and vocal stylings. Selecting the perfect song for our group is critical to clicking with our audience."

"Ah, yes. The audience votes on the finalists, don't they?" Jamil replies

"Correct," Vil answers, "Winners and losers at the SDC are decided by popular vote.

Each audience member, staff member, and entrant gets to cast one vote for their winning team."

"They let the entrants weigh in too? Wouldn't everyone just pick themselves, then?" Kalim questions, "Everybody thinks they're number one! At least, I figure they would..."

Amateurs may think that way. You would be surprised, though," Vil says.

Then explains, "Sometimes, the more capable you become, the harder it gets to endorse yourself. Sometimes, when you see a performance, all it takes is an instant to think, 'That's an act I could never follow. Once you have that knowledge, lying to yourself about your worthiness becomes a sad thing indeed."

"I think I know what you mean, at least a bit," Jamil says.

"Lying to yourself..." Epel says.

"That's why I strive my hardest to ensure that I can vote for myself with a clean conscience. Which brings us to the original song I had commissioned for us," Vil says.

"Seeing you inside profile, gaze fixed upon the heavens above... So radiant, Vil! So inspiring!," Rook says with a smile, "Might we hear the song now?"

"Of course," Vil says.

Then turns to Briar and Tanzanite, "Well, Manager and Vice Manager? Would you mind pressing play on the audio player?"

"Managers?" Tanzanite asks.

"You mean us?" Tanzanite asks.

"Who else would I be addressing? The headmage asked you to provide us with support, did he not?" Vil says.

"That's true," Briar says.

"But why add a vice manager?" Tanzanite asks.

"Since Briar will be taking part in the opening of the fair, she will need to practice her own routine, so having an assistant will be best. If you really want that prize money, you're working for us now," Vil says.

"That make sense," Tanzanite says.

"Alright then, you're the boss," Briar says.

She then presses the button on the phone and it plays the music. They listen to the entire song and soon, everyone is impressed

"Whoa, this is the real deal!" Ace says, excited

"I like the rhythm! This is nice," Kalim agrees.

"Would this fall under the electronic dance music genre?" Jamil questions, "If we're dancing to this, would we want to go with urban hip-hop? No, maybe hip-hop jazz?"

"I'm thinking urban hip-hop as a base, with touches of jazz, breakdancing, and voguing," Vil says.

Then explains, "We'll have three main vocalists. The rest of us will primarily focus on backup chorus and dancing."

"Aw, we're not all singing together?" Kalim asks.

Vil explains, "Without a solid grounding in choral music, it would just sound like a cacophony. We're not going to get all seven of us on the same singing level in a month. Thus, it makes the most sense to devise idiosyncratic focal points based on our respective proficiencies."

Trinket tilts her head with a confused look.

"I-I don't know what half of these words mean..." Deuce says, deeply confused.

"Sounds like creating a dance routine is really hard," Sereia says.

"Yeah. I couldn't understand half of what Vil said," Jasper adds.

"Dude. Me neither," Grim says.