Chapter 43: Leveraging Charm

"This is amazing. I'm seeing a whole flood of comments on the Magicam post saying they ordered the juice," Deuce says.

"Oh...!" Epel replies, surprised.

That is when he remembers what Vil said to him back in the ballroom.

Flashack:

Vil says, "You speak of being "charming" and being "strong" as though the two are mutually exclusive... when in fact both of them are equally valid forms of power. As long as you fail to make that distinction, you will never be a match for me."

Flashback Ends:

This makes Epel ask, "Is this the power of beauty Vil was talkin' about?!"

"Now that you mention it... The only reason this worked at all was because Vil was so focused on that," Deuce says, "Magical might or brute strength alone never would've accomplished that."

"Ah wonder... " Epel qonders and calmly clears his throat, "Ahem. I mean, I wonder: was this the point Vil was tryin' to make about power? That my "charm" is a power only I have, and I should weaponize it?"

"It's possible," Briar says.

"Maybe," Deuce replies, "Neither of us are super smart or buff. But I bet nobody in this school has you beat in the cuteness department!"

"Erk..." Epel replies with a skeptic look.

Then sheepishly says, "Not sure how I should feel about that. But it's true that I'm not gonna look this way forever." Then happily says, "Just think—this time next year, I might be taller, or more muscular. Or I could have a mustache!"

"I dunno about that one, buddy," Deuce replies.

Then Vil says, "Vil says my charm is my power. If I can put that power to good use in this year's SDC... Maybe I could give the town a way bigger boost than just sellin' a bunch of juice crates."

"Yeah," Deuce replies, "If there's power to be found in the things we've spent our whole lives being ashamed of... Then let's play to our strengths and prove we can break out of our shells! If that's what it takes to beat our rivals, then who am I to say no? I'll double down!

Epel giggles, "Heh heh... Yeah, I hear ya!"

"Yeah," Briar says and giggles as well.

Then Deuce asks, "Epel, you know what I think we should do? We should win this year's SDC and prove ourselves to Ace and Vil!"

"That's what Ah'm talkin' about! Ah'll be cute an' powerful as kin be!" Epel happily says.

Then the two give each other a high five.

Then the three begin to laugh with smiles on their faces.

Suddenly, they hear a voice, saying, "Hoo-wee! Look at this tricked-out blastcycle!"