Chapter 40: A Trip to the Ocean

Time passed, and the three friends arrived at the beach on the island. The sun is setting as the sky looks beautiful from the sun set

"Okay, we're here," Deuce says.

Epel sighs in surprise, "Whew... You're more of a speed demon than I expected, Deuce. That scared me at first."

"Really? I mean, I thought I was going pretty slow..." Deuce says.

"Really? It felt fast in my opinion," Briar says.

Deuce thinks for a second, " Er, y'know what? Forget I said anything. Anyway, Ignihyde sure knows how to trick out a blastcycle. It was hard just figuring out what all those different functions did."

Epel giggles, "Heh heh. Well, I'm feeling better already! I love going out on drives."

He then asks, "Are you sure this was a good idea, though? You went off-campus without getting permission first."

Deuce flinches, "Erk... It didn't even occur to me to ask for permission until we were already out."

"I suppose you're right. We were in a rush that it didn't occur to us," Briar says.

Then Deuce asks, "Will you help take some of the heat off us later?"

Epel smiles and says, "Vil and the others must be furious."

The three soon begin to giggle a bit, and begin to look at the ocean as the waves slashes on the sand.

Epel is the first to speak up, "You know, I think this is the first trip I've made to the beach since coming to this island."

"I know what you mean. I never knew there was a beach here," Briar says.

"That's right. You haven't explored the island yet, haven't you Briar," Deuce says.

"No. I haven't," Briar says.

Then Deuce explains, "We're on the Isle of Sages, but Night Raven College sits atop a mountain on the north side."

Then Epel says, "And Royal Sword Academy sits along the southern coast, right? Wait..." Epel turns his head to the right and asks, "Is that Royal Sword Academy there?"

Deuce and Briar look at the direction and are amazed to see Royal Sword Academy. It's a large white and blue castle, with a bridge and smaller areas for the classrooms and such.

Amazed, Epel says, "Wow... It's a school, but it looks more like a castle for kings and queens."

"I've seen it from the Night Raven observation deck, but never up close before. That place really is fancy," Deuce says.

"It looks really different from Night Raven College. It looks like a fairytale castle than a school at first glance. I have to wonder what other schools in this world are like," Briar says.

"Maybe you'll find out someday," Deuce says.

Then, Epel says, "My teammates in the Spelldrive Club say it's a place full of snotty, pampered rich boys... But that's also the school Neige goes to, and he's competing in the SDC, right?"

Just then, Deuce turns to the ocean and inhales deeply.

Suddenly, Deuce shouts at the top of his lungs, "I'M NEVER GONNA KNUCKLE UNDER, YOU HEAR ME?!"

Epel and Briar become startled.

"Huh?! What's wrong, Deuce?" Epel asks.

"Why are you yelling all of the sudden?" Briar asks.

Deuce continues, "I'M NOT A SMART GUY, AND I CONSTANTLY MISS BASIC CUES!"

Briar and Epel are even more confused.

Deuce continues shouting, "ALL MY OLD DELINQUENT HABITS ARE STILL THERE! I'VE GOT A HAIR-TRIGGER TEMPER! BUT I'M TRYING MY BEST, OKAY?! YOU THINK YOU CAN MAKE FUN OF ME, ACE?! WELL, THINK AGAIN! ONE OF THESE DAYS, I'M GONNA BE A REAL HONORS STUDENT, AND YOU'LL BE EATING MY DUST FOR THREE MEALS A DAY! I'M GONNA CHANGE! YOU CAN COUNT ON THAT! AAAAAAAAAAAGH!"

After screaming, Deuce sighs, "...Ahhh, that's much better!"

"G...Goodness gracious," Epel says, surprised.

Even Briar is surprised, "I've never heard you shout this loud and long before.

Then Deuce explains, "I do this whenever things aren't going my way and I get all out of sorts. I drive to the beach and let it all out at the top of my lungs. It always makes me feel better. For as long as I can remember, I've been a slow learner. I'd study hard, but my grades always stayed below average. I wanted an excuse for why I did so poorly in school... So over time, I started taking the easy way out. 'I'm not even trying. Of course my grades are bad.' 'It's lame to be a try-hard.' You know, stuff like that."

"Oh...I didn't know," Epel replies.

"Does it have something to do with your past? The person you were back then?" Briar asks.

"Yes," Deuce answers. "I was out of control for years. I became a hopeless delinquent and made my mom cry. That's when I got a letter of acceptance from the prestigious Night Raven College. I thought to myself: maybe I could get my act together and change myself if I had a new environment. 'This is my big chance!'

"And did you change? After enrolling, I mean?" Epel asks.

"Nope. Not a bit," Deuce answers, "I can play the part of an honors student, but I can't change who I am deep down. I'm still that same bad boy with grades to match. Nothing ever goes the way I want it to. But...I learned something when I came to this school. I learned that all the most 'capable' guys struggle hard behind the scenes. Even when it's embarrassing, even when it's lame, even when it means playing a little dirty... Capable guys never give up."

"Deuce..." Epel replies.

Then Deuce says, "I invited you out here today because I thought maybe you were like me."

"Huh...?" Epel replies, confused.

"You have this thing where you start to say something, then stop yourself, right?" Deuce replies, "It comes off to me like you want to change, but you can't, so you're floundering."

Epel then says, "...Yeah. Maybe you're right."

"Briar and I are the only ones here. Why don't you give it a try? Let it all out at the top of your lungs. It'll make you feel way better!" Deuce says.

"Are you sure? Will Briar be okay with it?" Epel asks.

"I'll be okay. I hear that sometimes people scream when no one is around to relieve stress. I never do it myself, but everyone has their own way to release some stress," Briar says.

"Well... All right," Epel agrees, reluctantly.

He then inhales deeply.