Chapter 23: A Surprise Phone Call

Suddenly, they hear a phone ringing. Vil reaches in to take out his smartphone.

He looks at it and says, "Hm? My manager's calling. It had better be urgent."

Vil answers the phone, "Hello, Adela."

On the other line, his manager, Adela says, "Hi, Vil! Got a few?

"I told you I was going to be occupied with the SDC for a while. Please make it quick," Vil says.

Then his agent says, "This is big! You just got an offer for a movie role. It's a sequel to Legendary Sword! You know, the mega-hit title with box office revenue topping two hundred million thaumarks?"

Vil becomes surprised, "Really?" and becomes excited, "Yes, I know Legendary Sword! I caught the original in theaters."

He then asks, "What role would I be playing?"

"You'd be the protagonist's rival—a prince of an enemy kingdom. He's ruthless, but also the most glamorous character in the movie. He goes out in spectacular, villainous fashion. You were born to play this guy, Vil!" Adela explains.

"Hold on. It's another pretty villain role?" Vil questions.

And says with a frown, "I believe I told you to turn down offers that would typecast me as such."

Vil's agent continues, "Look, this is a huge title. I wasn't going to tell them no without checking with you first."

"I suppose if they're nominating me without an audition, then they also have a lead actor already picked out?" Vil says, "I might consider it, depending on the casting."

"The hero of the story, the one who inherits the legendary sword...is played by Neige LeBlanche," Adela answers.

"...Neige? AGAIN?" Vil asks, and that doesn't satisfy him.

Adela continues, "I know, I know. But think of this as your chance to advance to the next level. They're offering three million thaumarks. That's a huge amount of money for a teen actor. And I could negotiate for even more."

"You cannot buy my feelings with money. I don't care how much I'd make—when I don't want a role, I don't take it. All I want...is to stay on stage until the end of the show," Vil says in a stern tone.

"Vil..." Adela says.

But Vil says, "I need to focus my full attention on the SDC right now regardless. Turn this offer down."

"I know you care a lot about your school life. But please, if you could reconsider..." Adela says.

But Vil says, "ENOUGH! I don't want any more calls from you until the SDC is over!"

And hangs up the phone. Vil simply sighs and places his phone back in his pocket.

Suddenly, Vil hears Briar's voice, "Vil, are you alright?"

Vil turns to see Briar and Kalim who have concerned looks on their faces

"Is everything okay? I hope that wasn't bad news," Kalim asks.

"Oh, nothing so dire. Now, it's time to start our rehearsal," Vil calmly answers.

"Um okay," Briar says.

"Sure," Kalim says, confused.

Rook however, remains silent and frowns with his arms crossed.

Unknown to them, more droplets of the blot fell to the floor, and some merge into a large blob.

Suddenly, Briar feels a slight pain in her head.

"You okay, Briar?" Kalim asks.

"I'm okay. Just had a sudden pain, but it's gone now," Briar answers with a smile.

She then says in her thoughts, "I just hope this isn't what I think it is. Otherwise, we're going to have problems."