Chapter 51: A Scientific Café

Soon, the group leave the coliseum and plan to explore the booths and vendors around the area.

"The exhibit booths are where arts club students sell and showcase their original creations and other goods," Riddle says, "The seniors also have booths to exhibit their research and study findings. Do browse and see if anything piques your interest.

"Oh yeah, Crewel mentioned somethin' about seniors comin' back for the culture fair," Grim says.

"I remember it too," Jasper says.

Then Sereia asks, "How come we never see them around campus?"

The typical M.O. for four-year magical academies is that seniors go off-campus for hands-on learning. I'm no exception—I'll be doing the same next year, and I'll only be back on special occasions," Trey explains.

"Ooh... Whaddaya mean by "hands-on"? What do you guys do?" Grim asks, curiously.

Riddle explains, "Some people apply to shadow a certain special team in an administrative organization... While others leave to excavate or explore ruins, or to decipher ancient texts. Still others accept internships with magic related businesses.

What's this 'special team in an administrative organization'?" Briar asks.

Trey remembers, "Oh yeah, Briar—you came from a world without magic, right? Of course this would all be new to you. Twisted Wonderland's fire and police organizations include elite teams comprised entirely of mages. And the best and brightest mages in THOSE teams go to an international organization called the Arcane Response Unit. Lots of people grow up idolizing them."

"Sounds elite! So once I become a great and powerful sorcerer, I can join this Arcane Response Unit?" Grim asks with excitement.

Riddle thinks and says, "I haven't heard of them taking in monsters before, but we do live in an age of increased diversity... I wouldn't rule it out if you put in the work."

Mages have lots of different occupations, huh?" Briar says.

"Heh. You have to do a lot more than fly around on a broom to cut it as a modern mage," Riddle says, "Think about your own futures. Follow the rules and study hard if you want to get ahead."

"Hmm, my future huh," Briar says and begins to think about the kind of future she wants.

To be honest, she doesn't have much thought of it, besides maybe ideas of wanting to become a pastry chef or even a teacher.

"Yeesh, that's like your catchphrase or somethin'" Grim says, cutting Briar out of her thoughts.

"Excuse me. You asked me a question, and I answered," Riddle says to Grim.

Trey laughs, "Ha ha. The future's a hard thing for freshmen to envision. The culture fair isn't all stuffy research exhibitions, of course. There's also plenty of booths you can visit for fun. In fact, my Science Club is running a decorative plant café. Care to check it out?

"Ooh, a café! That means food! Count me in!" Grim shouts in excitement.

"Grim, you just want to stuff your face again," Jasper points out.

Soon enough, the group arrives in the Botanical Garden, in the Temperate Zone. There they see a large amount of dining tables and chairs in the green house. It gives off a nice garden setting with the flowers and trees blooming. Trinket flies to the rose and gives it a sniff, which makes her happy.

Grim is amazed, "Myah! Look, they've got a buncha dining table set up in the greenhouse."

"It looks very pretty," Sereia says.

"I agree. I'm almost getting a garden party vibe from here," Briar says.

Just then, a Science Club Member notices Trey and calls out, "Hey, Trey!"

"Glad to see you!" The second member says.

"You too, guys," Trey says, "Sorry I couldn't help you set up the café."

The Science Club Member says, "It's fine. You stayed up late last night helping fine-tune the menu."

And the second member says, "All Rook did was sing praises about your smooth workflow."

Trey laughs, "Ha ha... He does seem better suited to the Literary Club than the Science Club. He's also going to be representing our school in the SDC. Make sure to show lots of support as fellow club members, all right?"

"Will do!" The two members answer.

Riddle looks around and says, "I was rather perplexed when the Science Club submitted an application to run a café... But the botanical garden is quite the spacious venue for it. That was some smart thinking."

"It's always nice to have someplace to unwind at crowded events," Trey says, "It's also warm in the greenhouse, so it's the perfect spot to come in out of the cold after watching a show. Not to mention its size and capacity. I'm expecting a solid two days of sales."

"Y'know, none of what you're talkin' about sounds like it's got anything to do with science," Grim replies.

But Trey says, "Oh, that's not true at all. This is a place to relax and admire the rare decorative plants that the Science Club grew as research specimens. Plus, cooking is highly scientific. Food preparation is arguably a form of experimentation. This is a perfectly legitimate science exhibit. The club members also wait tables in white lab coats. Doesn't get much more on-brand than that.

"So, it's a completely normal café," Briar says.

"Seems like it. I would like to eat here," Tanzanite says.

"Me too," Sereia says.

Riddle looks at the time and says, "Oh dear. It's almost half-past ten. We'd best check on the rest of the campus. The festival opens to the public at 11 a.m., and I want my full patrol done by then."

Sometime later, the group then visits one of the classrooms. This is where the Gargoyle Studies Booth is. There, they see a lot of different statues, plushies, and anything gargoyle related.

A little uneasy, Grim asks, "What's this place supposed to be? And what's with all the statues of scary-lookin' monsters?"

"They're gargoyles, Grim," Briar says.

"She's right," Riddle says, "Those are gargoyles—engraved sculptures that serve as a part of a system of rain gutters. This club is chaired by Malleus, the housewarden of Diasomnia, but..."

Trey looks around and says, "I'm not seeing him around anywhere."

Then Riddle says, "Malleus is an extremely capable mage, but he's never been the most punctual fellow. He's the only member of the club, as I understand it."

"He's the only member in the club? Are you sure there aren't any other members," Briar says.

"Yes. Last I remember, he's the only one," Riddle says.

"Why do you ask?" Riddle asks.

"Well, I actually have a friend who seems really interested in gargoyles, so I figured this will be a club he's interested in. And well, to be honest, after his advice on gargoyles I ended up reading a bit about them. I might actually join the club since I like myths and magical creatures," Briar says.

Trinket smiles and tinks.

"And fairies," Briar says.

Trinket nods her head in satisfaction.

"I have to admit, the study of gargoyles seems interesting. I wonder if I can join," Tanzanite says.

"You just like to study about gargoyles," Jasper says.

"Hmm, I think Malleus might like it if he has two people interested," Riddle says.

He looks around the room and says,

"I hope he comes back before opening time. Leaving a booth unmanned would be asking for trouble."

"I don't know. Somehow I doubt anyone on this campus would dream of doing anything to Malleus's exhibit," Trey says.

"You have a point there," Riddle says. "All right, on to the next booth."