Chapter 22 - y/n pov

Welp. You did it readers. Or author. I guess both. I get the story is about y'know what but do Saiki and I have to constantly be interacting with each other?

Well apparently the answer is yes since god hates psychics.

It's Saiki's birthday today. I said I'd pay him back by leaving him alone but looks like because of two certain mothers that's not going to be possible.

My mother and Saiki's mother have become good friends. It being Saiki's birthday they wanted to surprise him by having his friends hang out with him. The thing is everyone is busy. Nendo is meeting some magician guy for some reason. Kaido is doing some family stuff. Kuboyasu has 'personal matters' to attend to. I'm assuming that means beating someone up. The girls I know are busy. Chiyo and Kokomi are going to some summer festival. I had originally declined without knowing what that would mean for me. Mera is working at some convince store and Hairo has tennis camp. Because of all this I'm the only one left.

So now I have no choice because otherwise my mom will be upset and I don't want to make her sad.

I go up and ring his doorbell. My mom watching me from down the street to make sure I come over. The power Saiki's mom and my mom have together is scary.

"Surprise..."

I say after Saiki opens the door.

"I'm sorry. She made me come."

I told him that telepathically.

"It's fine. I'm sorry I won't be able to escape it either."

Ours moms give each other a look and smile, eyes looking like they're glittering. Me and Saiki just share a common look of 'why author, why'.

Okay. That's enough forth wall breaking even for us.

We walk to a near by park. Sitting down on a bench.

"I'm sure I could teleport home now and my mom wouldn't notice. If you want I can go"

"Don't worry about it. If you're mom found out so would mine and that would be a mess for the both of us"

We share another look of just 'why'.

"I have your birthday gift though. Here!"

I didn't know what to get him other than coffee jelly but I thought that would be a pretty bad gift on its own. So I got him jelly as well as made him a homemade cake.

"Sorry it's not much, I wasn't sure what else to get you so I obviously got coffee jelly and I made you a small birthday cake as well since I thought coffee jelly alone would be a lousy gift, I hope that's alright!"

He just took the coffee jelly and cake and smiled at it without saying anything. Guess he likes it haha~

"I actually have something for you too."

"Why? It's your birthday."

"Here"

He hands me a neatly wrapped small box. I open it. It's a germanium ring!

"I saw it in a store I was in today and thought it would be good to get for you. You won't have to hold my hand anymore."

"Oh my god! Thank you so much Saiki! I really appreciate it!"

I can't believe he got me this! It's the best gift I've ever received, only another psychic would know how precious this is I guess haha~

We're both left smiling at our gifts.

I've never been a materialistic person, but this means a lot. It'll help so much with my headaches and migraines.

"What should we do to pass the time?"

"Café mami?"

"Sounds good!"

I've become a regular at café mami by this point. I don't even need to order anymore.

We go into cafe mami, it's quiet, there's basically no one here. We end up sitting in the back booth which we had originally sat in the first day I came here.

"Why don't you try the cake I made while we're here? I tired making it to your tastes but you like all sweets so I wasn't sure how to make it more personalised. I did my best! Happy birthday Kusuo!"

Hope it was okay for me to use his first name. I just thought since it's his birthday I should make it more personal.

He takes a bite and seems to enjoy it. I'm glad, I feel a little bad about my gift now that Saiki got me the germanium ring. But if he's happy that's good.

"I was going to tell you to drop the sweet girl act around me before I realised it's stopped being so much of an act."

He takes another bite of the cake.

That came out of no where. It is an act though? I guess I have been pretty sucked in by the girls and this place. But usually it is just politeness.

"I guess I have gotten a little soft..."

"It's not necessarily a bad thing. You fit in easier. No one would realise you're a psychic."

I guess he's got a point. But why does it feel like I've lost a part of myself?

"Stop making that expression. I wasn't trying to insult you."

"Oh no don't worry I know! It's just. I don't know. Guess it feels a little strange. Ultimately I achieved my goal of a 'normal life', well as normal as it can get. But for some reason I feel like I'm missing a part of me..."

Ugh. My heart is heavy. I've got a knot in my throat.

"Sorry. I didn't want to ruin your birthday with my problems. I'll let you enjoy your cake in peace!" I say giving a weak smile.

Why do I feel this way?

"It's well made. The cake."

"Mh- thanks Saiki..." I say with a small smile, this time genuine.

I can't help but have a tense feeling for the rest of the time there. We finish up and start walking home.

We're walking quietly side by side. Neither of us are talking, though to be fair I'm so in my mind I didn't even notice.

"We're here y/n. Your house?"

"Oh! Right! Sorry!"

I walked past a bit and didn't even realise. As I walk past Saiki to go to my house I feel him lightly hit the back of my head with his hand.

"Quit overthinking. You're not loosing yourself, you're finding yourself."

"R-right..."

We walk away from each other and I go into my house.

I manage to evade my mom and go to my room.

'Finding myself'?

Was I lost?

I take the ring Saiki got me out of my bag and put it on. My mind feels clearer.

Thank you Kusuo,

Happy birthday~

.............................................................

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed! :)