Chpater 30 - saiki pov

Last night Teruhashi confessed to me. It was very awkward. But at least I got some moments of peace afterwards. Y/n and I also had one of those moments again. This unspoken moment of peace and tranquillity between us. They keep happening when I'm around her and I can't figure out why. Or why I honestly tolerate her a little more than most. Either way. Today we're visiting a bunch of places. What a pain. First we're hiking a mountain. Then we're going to a museum. And last we'll be going to the beach. The first two won't be such a ruckus but I know the beach is going to be a whole drama, just like last time. Sigh. Just thinking about it is giving me a headache.

First stop we're hiking, people are tiring out pretty quick since Hairo challenged Nendo to run to the top and everyone wanted to follow suit. To say the least they quickly regretted it. Without realising y/n and I walked to the top with ease and ended up being the first there apart from Hairo and Nendo. We just looked at the view quietly until the rest came. It was pretty from up there. Would be a peaceful place to escape to at night if I need a rest from the others again tonight. Apparently y/n had a similar thought as she starts speaking to me telepathically.

"See you here tonight?"

"Yes."

A short but consecutive conversation. The others arrive and y/n immediately starts talking to the girls and they begin to get pretty loud.

The next stop is the museum. It's about the history of Kyushu. It's pretty boring. It's a museum. But the rest of my classmates seem to be pretty excited about it. Y/n seems genuinely interested. Weird. But it's nice to see her excited. Her eyes glittering as she looks at various attractions in the museum.

And now the place everyone wants to go except me. Well okay maybe that's everywhere we were at today. But this one especially. The beach. The same thing happened like in Okinawa. We're waiting for Teruhashi, Yumehara, Aiura and y/n to come out from changing. People are gathered around waiting for them to come out. Especially excited for Teruhashi and y/n. Teruhashi comes out in a pink two piece, it's relatively simple, it's a light colour, ruffled on the edges slightly. Even so the beach breaks out into applause. Next out is Yumehara. She's wearing a new swimsuit than from when we went to the beach in summer. She's wearing another yellow two piece, but this one has a small design, it's a pattern of small daisies. No one really has a reaction. Poor Yumehara. Next out is Aiura. She's wearing a simple black two piece. But it seems pretty tight. How is she not uncomfortable? People start talking. Disgustingly they're excited because of her chest. And last to come out is y/n. She's in her own swimsuit this time instead of Teruhashi's old one. She's also wearing a pink two piece. This one is relatively simple but has lace bows on the shoulders and on the hips. The beach once again has a big reaction to her. A smaller applause than Teruhashi however. It's still weird they applauded...

Guess she looks nice though.

The girls invite us to play beach volleyball. Before I can refuse y/n is dragging me making come play. We're in two groups. Myself, y/n Aiura and Kuboyasu. The other group is Nendo, Kaido, Teruhashi and Yumehara. I can feel Teruhashi's awkwardness around me. I feel a little bad but y/n says she's alright. She might take out her anger through this game. This is annoying. Throwing balls is hard, despite my training. At least with volleyball it's a little different than straight up throwing them.

We played for a while. Surprisingly not turning it into a competition and just playing for fun. It wasn't too bad I guess. But it's always annoying to do any sports for me.

We then go into the ocean, with an exception for Kaido and Yumehara, who wanted a chance to be alone with him so she used his fear of swimming as an opportunity. Everyone else in our group went into the water to 'have some fun'.

"Watch out!" Says y/n slashing some water on me.

"Stop that."

"I don't think I will!" She says chipperly, splashing me with water again.

"Come on you grump!!" She says splashing me again, waiting for me to retaliate. To which I do. Splashing her back, making her fall back in the shallow water.

"Oh you're so done! Get your ass here!" She says getting ready to splash me more.

We end up splashing each other a bunch, ending up soaked. She looks kind of cute with her hair wet. Though she tried her best not to get it wet. Is she even capable of looking bad? No wonder people treat her a bit like Teruhashi.

We get out and dry up, her laughing. Okay yes. It was childish of me to do that. But I can't deny it was a little fun to splash her. Plus I got to see her smile.

We go back to the hotel eventually for dinner and for the baths. It's actually a lovely hot spring attached to the hotel so it is quite nice. After dinner and a bath I manage to escape my roommates, who were fighting over what tabletop game to play. I of course don't want to play. I find a chance to teleport to the top of the mountain we had hiked as a class in the morning. Y/n's already there.

"Hey Kusuo!"

I sit down next to her, staring at the view.

"Today was really fun! Thanks for humouring me by the way"

"It's fine."

"Sigh. Too bad it's nearly over. I've ended up having a lot of fun! But oh well. There is one thing I want to do before we leave, there's this treat I really want to try before we leave, they only serve four a day!"

"Really? The dongo ice cream thing right?"

"Yeah that one! We'll have to go find the place and eat it tomorrow!"

"Guess so."

We go quiet for a moment. It's a peaceful silence though. It's not awkward. I'm wearing my telepathy blocking ring right now so it's very quiet. Regardless there's no one here at this hour. Of course except for us psychics.

"Hey Kusuo? Why are you being so nice to me?" Says y/n sheepishly, putting her head down.

"Is that a bad thing?"

"No of course not it's just...I can't figure out why..."

"I don't know either to be completely honest. I guess I don't mind your company..."

"You seem surprised by that?"

"It's because I am. You're just a strange person y/n. To be fair everyone we know is, but you're a different kind of strange. I can't figure it out. I guess you intrigue me."

"I see..." she says, looking at me her eyes setting onto my face. Looking at me like she's searching for something.

I look back at her. Her smooth skin glistening in the moonlight. Eyes twinkling with curiosity for the world. I don't understand my emotions around this girl. Why do I like seeing her smile? Why do I like having her around me? Why does her touch feel so natural to me? In spite of the shock we received when she first arrived. I've just been rationalising it to myself as simply curiosity for the girl. Why I can't read her. But I'm not sure that's really the reason anymore. Thing is I don't know what the reason is. And this isn't like me. So I'm not sure what to think. All I know is I don't mind her presence. And I like to see her smile. I guess she's officially my friend? But that doesn't quite feel right either.

"Kusuo?"

Oh crap. I guess I've been staring at her this whole time.

"Heh~ it's okay!" She says turning her attention back to the beautiful view. Once again putting her head on my shoulder, holding lightly onto my arm. I lay my head on top of hers. Again. And again I'm not sure why I did it. But I did. And I don't mind it. I have no idea why. My mind can't help but rush. Am I sick? Like some sort of psychic illness or something? Is it the Kyushu air, is it like hay fever? Where there's something in it and I can't filter it so it still affects me? Whatever.

Maybe it's best if I just enjoy this moment for what it is...

............................................................

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed! :)