Chapter 23 - saiki pov

It's the last day of the summer holidays. And there happens to be a summer festival on today. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to have a festival right before the end of the school holidays when the main attraction they get is from school children and teens. Either way I actually quite like festivals. So I thought I might as well go tonight.

When I get there I notice many familiar people. Of course a bunch of people from class are here.

"Come on y/n! You look great!"

That's Yumehara's voice. I'm guessing y/n came here with Yumehara and Teruhashi.

"I've never really worn a yukata!" Says y/n coming into my view. She's wearing a mini yukata along with Yumehara and Teruhashi. There's faint 'offu' sounds while the group of girls walk.

"Oh hey it's my pal!" And Nendo comes to ruin my attempts to stay out of sight. Of course.

"Hello Saiki! Do you sense a strange air here?" Says Kaido appearing next to Nendo with Kuboyasu by his side.

"Oh it's Teruhashi!" Says Kuboyasu, then all three of these boys say
"Offu" In unison.

"Oh hello boys! What a coincidence that we found each other here!" Teruhashi says with her sweet toned voice.

Y/n looks visibly uncomfortable in that yukata. She looks kind of cute though.

Wait- what was I just thinking?

Hmph! Even in this yukata I can't make Saiki say 'offu'

Yukata or no I won't say offu to you Teruhashi.

"Weren't you going to help me get her to stop crushing on me" I say to y/n telepathically.

"I would but I don't know how I would without hurting her. I've actually already tired getting her to like other guys but her thoughts don't really change"

"Yeah. Happened to me once too when I thought I'd finally get her off me."

"She has been planning on telling you soon, after the school trip at the end of September. You'll just have to reject her then. Otherwise I can't think of another way. While you're at it why not get rid of Kaido's crush for me? It doesn't bother me that much but I feel bad for Chiyo"

"Fine. I guess I have no choice. And you've gotten soft for real huh?"

She doesn't respond, just looks at me without changing her expression and looks away.

Did I say something wrong?

We're all now going around the festival as a group. There's a stall that's selling sweets as prizes. And of course both y/n and I happen to end up at that same stall.

We both give each other a look.

"You're on!"
"You're on!"

We both say and we pick up water guns. The game is shooting water with these guns into this hole lifting a platform. The one who got to the top first wins and gets different kinds of sweets as a prize. Of course. We tied. The owner of the stall gave us both sweets. We both try again. And again. And again. We keep tying and end up selling out the stall. We both walk away with a bunch of sweets in our arms. I don't think it really came to us how many times we tied until we put the stall out of business.

We stay quiet and walk to a bench so we can sit down. We both look at our prizes then each others prizes then at each other.

Then out of no where, something inside me urged me to start laughing. Not even a small chuckle like actually laughing. She, at the same time, began to laugh as well. I don't know where exactly this came from. But we both just sat there laughing. Not too loudly as not to attract the others attention but still laughing.

We didn't say anything. We both just had a shared understanding that this situation was in a way funny. After at least a minute of us laughing we calm down.

She looks at me and gives a sweet smile. It's drastically different to the way she was when she came here. The smiles she's been giving seem genuine. Anyone would believe she's just a normal girl. Lucky.

"Good to see you sincerely smile. That's different from a couple months ago"

I say, forgetting to hold back my own small smile. Though I tried to cover it up as best as I could.

Her smile slowly drops and she looks away.

"Yeah...I guess so."

It happened again. I can't tell what it is but something I'm saying is changing her attitude. I feel the cold shoulder she used to give me when she got here. She seems tense.

We sit in silence again. Away from the others enough we can sit peacefully.

Y/n looked like she was about to stand up, but before she did fireworks went off.

She stayed sat after that. We just watched the fireworks in silence. I look at y/n for a moment. I can see her loosening up a bit after looking at the stars. She did say she likes them. The fireworks likely added to the appeal. She looks like she had a lot on her mind. A mind I'll never read.

How can someone be both so similar, yet so different to me? I said I'd learn why I can't read you when you came here y/n. I was frustrated that I couldn't read you. But now I'm not sure I want to.

When you've been able to read everyone your whole life. And wishing you could be as 'normal' as possible. Finding someone you can't read or see through, is kind of nice. She seems so normal. Of course I know very well she isn't. And yet she manages to accomplish exactly what I seem to be unable to.

"Saiki? You're staring at me."

I look away. I didn't notice I was staring.

The night is relatively warm. Being the end of august.

"Oh there they are!"

This moment of quietness is then interrupted.

Good grief.

.............................................................

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed! :)