sink or swim, part two

"So this is where we'll be hiding out from the FBI," Donald explained. He led them through a door into a dark room full of boxes and old tools. "What do you think?"

"I think we should update our tetanus shots," Bree replied.

"Hey, where's Leo?" Chase asked.

"Yeah, I thought you said he was here?" Maeve added.

"Yeah, I kinda lied about that," Donald said. He lifted his hand to his neck, just below his ear. Suddenly, a blue grid flashed across his face to reveal Douglas. "Guess who?"

Maeve, Chase, and Bree exchanged panicked glances.

"Woah!" Adam laughed. "Awesome mask, Mr. Davenport. He looks just like his evil brother who captured us!"

"That is his evil brother," Bree said.

"And he did just capture us," said Chase.

"Oh," Adam breathed.

"I don't get it," Chase said. "I thought you were an ice cube in Mr. Davenport's warehouse. How did you get out?"

"I had a little help," Douglas answered.

"It doesn't matter!" Bree exclaimed. "We'll destroy this rat trap just like your last one."

"Yeah, thanks for that," Douglas said sarcastically. "I didn't even have time to back up my music. Twenty years of up-tempo jazz, gone!"

Maeve rolled her eyes. "I told you to download it to your phone."

Douglas huffed.

Chase shook his head. "Well. I know something else that's about to be gone."

"Yeah!" Adam nodded. "Let's get his reggae too."

"Get him!" Bree exclaimed.

"Now!" Douglas shouted.

Someone emerged from the corner. It was a tall man, wearing a black hooded jacket and a white mask over his face. He raised his hand, blue lightning sparking his fingertips, and within seconds, everything went dark.

-

When Maeve woke up, she was on the ground next to Chase, Adam, and Bree. She felt sore and her head hurt. She and her friends slowly sat up.

"Wakey-wakey, eggs and bac-y!" Douglas cooed. "Actually, it's just an expression. All we have to eat around here are nuts, berries, and... the occasional barbecued iguana."

Adam stood up angrily. "Taunting us with non-existent breakfast foods? You really are evil."

"Wait," Chase said, standing up. "Who was that guy?"

Maeve and Bree stood up. Maeve slowly felt her memory returning, the masked man who had knocked them out. Despite his disguise, she had a creeping feeling she knew who it was.

"Oh, that's right!" Douglas said. "Adam, Bree, and Chase haven't been formally introduced to my partner. Krane, come say hi to the kids!"

Maeve's heart dropped as her father, still wearing the mask, walked up next to Douglas.

"After I was booted from Davenport Industries, I needed cash to continue my research," Douglas explained to Adam, Bree, and Chase. "Luckily, I found a billionaire who believed in me! Say hello to my colleague, benefactor, and all-around bad guy, Victor Krane!"

Krane removed his mask. Maeve took a small step back and grabbed Chase's hand. Adam grimaced at the electrical wires and scars on Krane's face.

"Dude, I have got to get you into a dermatologist," Douglas said, then turned to the kids. "Anyways, it turns out Krane had a kid of his own! You guys already know her."