three minus bree

Maeve sat in the school foyer with Adam, Leo, and Chase.

"Hey, did you guys know we had a study abroad program?" Bree approached them, holding a brochure.

"Really? I thought going abroad was more of a college thing," said Maeve.

Adam furrowed his brow. "Why would I go to another country to do something I don't do here?"

Bree rolled her eyes and showed them the brochure. "Look. It says you get to spend a whole semester at a high school in Australia. And guess what? I applied!"

"Cool!" Said Leo. "Kelly Porter went last year. She got sucker punched by a kangaroo!"

"Well, alright!" Adam grinned. "I guess we're going to Australia."

"We're not going, stupid," Maeve chuckled.

"No way," Bree chimed. "This is my thing. I mean, I can finally be on my own. I can study, travel, make new friends-"

Chase hummed. "I hate to be a wet blanket-"

"No, you don't," Leo frowned.

"...But Mr. Davenport is never gonna let you do this," he continued. "You can't go on missions if you're halfway across the world."

"Well," said Bree, "sure I can. I mean, I haven't figured out all the details yet, but there's gotta be a way to make it work."

"Not unless these three can unlock a new ability to make up for you not being here," Leo gestured to Adam, Chase, and Maeve.

Adam jumped up. "Ooh! Maybe I can unlock an ability where I disappear and reappear somewhere else! Let me try."

He crouched down, squeezing his eyes shut and letting out a long grunt. Maeve and the others stared at him.

Adam opened his eyes. "Did it work?"

"You didn't do it long enough," said Chase. "Try it again, this time more grunting."

Adam tried again, a loud grunt rumbling deep from his throat. Chase silently gestured to his friends to follow him as he walked around to Adam's other side.

Adam opened his eyes. He turned to see them standing behind him.

"You did it!" Chase exclaimed. The five of them cheered.

-

That afternoon, after school, Bree and Adam sat on the couch watching TV. Chase and Maeve sat in the corner, him practicing guitar, her singing quietly along.

Donald walked into the living room. "Bree, is there something you wanna tell me?"

"I got this," said Adam, standing up to face Donald. "Look, we all like you, but we think Tasha could have done better."

He patted his shoulder and walked off. Maeve grinned, nodding, as Chase stifled a laugh.

Donald turned back to Bree. "I just got a phone call that said you'd been accepted to study in Australia."

"Wait, what? That's crazy!" Bree stood up. "Did they mention what day I'm leaving?"

Donald smiled incredulously. "You're not going."

"Why?"

"Come on, Bree," Chase said, standing up and setting his guitar against the wall. "It was obvious. Even Adam saw that one coming."

"No idea what you're talking about, already moved onto cold cuts," said Adam, digging through the fridge.

Maeve stood up and nudged Chase. "Be nice. She doesn't need this right now," she whispered.