taken

Maeve walked down to the lab to look for her friends. She hadn't seen them yet that day.

As she approached the lab, she could see something on the floor. It looked like - no.

A body?

As she moved closer, the body became three. it was Adam, Bree, and Chase, collapsed on the ground, seemingly unconscious.

Maeve's steps slowed as she felt her heart stop in her chest. All she could look at was her friends, lying helpless on the ground. Until two black boots stepped into view.

"Don't act like you didn't know I would come back," a deep voice boomed. And without even looking, Maeve knew who it was.

Her father grabbed her by the shoulders. "And now, it's your turn to die."

Maeve yelled out, but there was no use. Her father lifted her off the ground with one hand, and in the other, began to generate a huge ball of electricity. She shut her eyes in fear as the humming of the lightning grew louder, louder...

Her eyes snapped open. Maeve stared out at the lab, perfectly normal. She looked out from her capsule to find Adam, Bree, and Chase sleeping peacefully in their own capsules.

Still shaking, Maeve took a step out of her capsule, careful not to wake the others. She headed upstairs to make some hot chocolate while she relayed the events of her dream in her mind.

She hadn't had a nightmare like that for a while, not since she joined the team. Sure, she had been under stress lately, but why all of a sudden? Why now? Was it a premonition of sorts?

No way. Maeve tried to shake the thought as she took a sip of her hot chocolate. There was no way... they were safe in the lab.

But-

"Maeve?" A soft voice asked, interrupting her thoughts.

Maeve looked over to see Chase standing sleepily in the doorway, his hair slightly ruffled. Her nerves dissipated somewhat.

"Hey, Chasey."

"What are you doing?" He slowly shuffled up to her, standing by her side.

"Couldn't sleep. I'm sorry, did I wake you up?"

"No, I-" Chase shook his head. "I woke up and you weren't there, and..."

Maeve sighed as Chase took the seat next to her.

"I can't stop thinking about... my dad."

Chase paused. "What about him?"

"I don't know. I'm really scared he's gonna do something. To me, to you guys."

"Maeve," Chase traced her back gently. "I didn't know you were worrying."

"I thought I was just being irrational, but I don't know. He's dangerous," Maeve frowned.

"I know," said Chase. "But... Mr. Davenport's on it. He designed this lab with a state-of-the-art security system. Even if your dad does come back, we're protected in here."

"You're right," Maeve sighed. "I'm just scared."

She leaned her head on his shoulder.

"We're all here with you, Maeve. You don't have to fight him alone anymore."

Maeve paused before leaning closer to hug Chase. No matter what she was thinking, she always felt a bit safer around him.

He wrapped his arms around her. "I got you," he whispered.

Maybe he was right. Maybe her dad wouldn't even come back. Maybe the security system was enough to protect them. Maybe it would all be fine.

But Maeve wasn't so sure.