Chapter 27

I sneak my way out to the side yard and on my way out I pass Dodger and Ryan who grins at me. I stand very quietly with my video running as I hear Chris give the performance of a lifetime.

He's screaming Dodger's name and yelling for Scott to come help him look. Scott runs outside barefoot with his hands on his head. He starts making his way towards where I'm hidden and I jump out while screaming "SCOTT!". 

Scott lets out a shrill scream that I'm certain the neighbors did not appreciate and holds his hands in front of his body to protect himself before he starts smacking me on the arm. I am laughing so hard that I am bent over trying to catch my breath. As juvenile as it was, I had to admit it was fun. 

Chris picks me up to save me from his brother's assault and throws me over his shoulder and runs me back into the house. He sets me down in the living room and high fives me as we simultaneously wipe away tears from laughing so hard. We play the video on my phone for Lisa, Shanna, and Carly to see and they are laughing at it as well. 

"You just wait missy! I'm going to get you back!"

"That might not be the best idea" Chris says as he begins to laugh again. He tells them about me punching my brother the last time he scared me.

"You're welcome to give it a shot, but I cannot be held responsible for any damage I cause." I tell him with a grin.

We all sit in the living room and continue chatting while drinking a glass of wine before Chris and I decide we need to head back.

I thank his mother profusely for inviting me over. "I rarely get a home cooked meal and dinner with a family anymore, so this meant more to me than you can imagine. Thank you for including me." I tell her honestly. She hugs me in a way that only a mother can and it's so comforting.

"Take good care of my boy" she whispers into my ear as she hugs me. I nod and smile in response.

I can't wait to call my family when I get home tonight. It's been just me and Emma for so long. 

Lisa thanks me for the cake and tells me that I am welcome in her home anytime. I was slightly surprised when Shanna and Carly both gave me a hug but was grateful that they seemed to be more comfortable with me. Stella hugged me tightly and I thanked her for sharing her barbies with me. I hugged Steve and looked at Scott with puppy eyes before wrapping him in tight hug. 

 I kissed his cheek and told him that I was sorry for scaring him. "I accept your apology only because you brought cake." He tells me sternly.

"I still expect you to text me embarrassing stories of Chris" I whisper and he chuckles and tells me he will.

"How about we get lunch one day this week?" He asks me.

"I'd love to! You free Wednesday? I have a 2-hour break between classes. I'll bring Emma, you'll love her!"

"Perfect! I'll text you!" he says as he gives me another tight squeeze.

"Should I be scared of this blossoming friendship?" Chris asks as he points at me and Scott.

"Without a doubt." I reply cheekily.

Chris calls Dodger and we head out to his car. After he loads up Dodger he opens the door for me. Before I get in, I hug him tightly. "Thank you for bringing me tonight. Your family is absolutely incredible." He smiles and kisses me sweetly on the lips and then I got in the car.

On the drive back to my house, he grabbed my hand before saying, "They all absolutely loved you. I haven't met one single person who is immune to your charm." I smirk at him.