Chapter 40:

I was listening to Sebastian describe to Scott and Josh how he got to live out a teenager's wet dream by having Pamela Anderson and Harley Quinn apply his fake tattoos when I suddenly spotted Chris next to Mackie. He looked so good and I was tipsy which meant my self-control wasn't my strongest. It felt like my skin was on fire when we made eye contact. He looked my body up and down and I knew he was liking my costume just as much as I liked his. His biceps, chest, abs and tattoos were on full display and my body involuntary shivered under his gaze. He gave me a hesitant smile, likely testing the waters to see how I would react. I promised to try and be friends so that's what I was going to attempt to try. I gave him a smile and a little wave and he finally gave me a genuine smile back. God, I missed his smile.

We continued in our individual conversations when a very drunk Mackie bridged the gap between the discussions. He stumbled up behind me and threw his arm around my shoulder and I couldn't help but laugh at him in his ridiculous banana costume.

"I just want to know how Sebastian convinced you to date him." He drunkenly slurred at Emma.

She laughed and jokingly said, "He's got money. I'm a gold digger. Shh...Don't tell!"

We all laughed at Mackie's face as he looked at her in shock and drunkenly replied, "I got more money than him! Date me instead!"

Sebastian smacked him and loudly said, "Someone needs to cut this guy off."

Chris walked up and used this opportunity to join the conversation, "I tried to cut him off. He told me his cup had water but it was straight vodka. He's like a college freshman trying to drink underage." We all laughed.

Mackie looked at me with his arm still loosely slung around my shoulder and I could see his eyes trying to focus on me before looking down my body. Chris tensed up.

"What about you Katy? You a gold digger too?" Normally I would be offended but for one thing he was so smashed he had no idea what he was saying and secondly, I had witnessed Emma's joke.

"Sorry, Mackie. Harley Quinn only dates the Joker. A simple banana is just not enough for a villain like me." I say as I swing my bat around and hold it to my shoulder.

"I got a big enough banana, bab"

"That's enough, Mack. Stop before you get yourself sent to HR." Sebastian interjects with a chuckle. 

Chris's jaw is clenched tightly and he looks super annoyed. Josh is still here for this conversation and I notice him taking in Chris's reaction as well.

Feeling the tension, I swallow the rest of my drink.

"On that note, I need more alcohol. Be right back!" I slide Mackie's arm off my shoulder and prop him onto Scott who was standing next to me before heading back to the alcohol. So much for pacing yourself, Katy. I just need to drink enough to make this not awkward. Just not too much where I take off Chris's clothes. I should be able to find a happy medium somewhere in there, right?

I start pouring tequila into a shot glass when I hear his voice right behind me.

"I'm sorry if I made things uncomfortable. I swear that I didn't know you'd be here. Sebastian just told me that he and Emma made things official and that's why you both are here. I figured it was still a secret and you and Em would be out on the town. Scott sort of drug me here."

"It's okay, I'm not uncomfortable I swear. But if you are, I can go. These were your friends first. I don't mind." I say.

"No, please don't go. Seeing you is the first time I've smiled all week." He said.

I reach up and hug him, smelling his neck as he hugged me back tightly.

"Me too." I tell him truthfully. I let go of him and turn around to grab my shot.