Chapter 82:

Friday was spent doing last minute Christmas shopping for those still left on our lists as well as packing for our trip to Texas and Alabama. We had gifts for Emma's family and my family shipped directly to those states so we wouldn't have to worry about trying to pack and bring them. My mom offered to wrap the presents for my dad and brother. Emma's mom offered to do the same. Our moms got really close after Emma and I met and our parents even took a summer trip together every year. They talked on the phone at least every week and were so excited about our visit.

We all spend Friday night at the townhouse so we could head to the airport together early Saturday morning. Lisa had Dodger while we were out of town, and I was already missing the little guy. The early flight to Texas went really smoothly and they had our rental car ready for us when we got our bags. Emma's mom offered several times to pick us up, but we wanted to have a car and not have to constantly put her parents out by borrowing theirs if we wanted to go somewhere. We were able to rent a Ford Escape which was fine for what we needed. Texas was already much warmer than Boston, so we quickly got rid of our heavy coats when we stepped outside. Emma was so excited to see her family and I was excited to see them too.

Emma drove since she was more familiar with the crazy traffic and Chris and I snuggled in the backseat. Emma's mom and stepdad had planned a family dinner with all of their local family this afternoon so that everyone could see her while she was in town. Her older brothers would be coming and I was excited to see her baby nephew.

Emma's father had passed away in a car accident when she was only two years old. Her two older brothers, Derek and Paul were only a few years older than us, but Emma was the baby. Her mom met Joseph when she was seven and he's been the only father that she actually remembers. We pulled up into the familiar drive and Emma was bouncing up and down with excitement. Her mom, Eliza, came running outside and grabbed Emma up in a big hug.

"Momma! I've missed you!"

"Oh, my girls! I've missed you too! I've been drowning in testosterone without you here."

I quickly hugged her. "Hi mom." I said. It was always a joke that since Emma and I were practically sisters, we called each other's mother's "Mom".

"Hi boys, call me Eliza, or Liza. Sebastian it's nice to meet you in person. You must be Chris since I haven't seen your face before now." Eliza states confidently and we giggle and roll our eyes at her forwardness.

The guys grab our suitcases as Eliza wraps her arms around me and Emma and we make our way to the door.

"Is that our baby sister?" I hear Derek say and Emma squeals in excitement as he's got his son, baby Hudson, in his arms.

Emma runs over and quickly grabs Hudson from Derek's arms.

"Really? No, hey big bro. How have you been?" and Emma rolled her eyes before side hugging him.

"Hey big bro, how have you been?" she says sarcastically.

We chat for a while and make our introductions for the guys and all the family members.

"Where's Paul?" Emma asks while I'm holding Hudson.

"Oh, you know he's never on time. He doesn't miss a meal so I'm sure you'll see him at some point. He doesn't know that Katy's here though." Eliza says and Emma just smirks.

About twenty minutes later, Emma's middle sibling finally arrives and makes quite the entrance. Sebastian and Chris are having a beer with Joseph and Derek while Eliza, Emma, Jennifer (Derek's wife) and I are in the kitchen with baby Hudson. He's about to turn two years old and is absolutely adorable.

"Alright, which one of these guys do I need to scare away from my baby sister?" Paul shouts as he opens the door. I hear Derek chuckle and Emma jumps up to go save Sebastian from Paul. Paul has always been very outgoing and flirty with me, and I always refused his advances because he was my best friend's brother. He was attractive and fun to be around but it was never going to happen and I think he knew that. He never gave up and I hadn't thought to mention his personality to Chris. I make my way into the living room and see Emma hugging Paul. He truly is a great brother to her. They were always close even though they bickered when they were around each other too long.