CHAPTER 7

CHAPTER 7
INKIMAYA

The next two weeks seemed to fly, Sao'Nae rising early each morning and going to the stone shore, teaching the Sully children everything that came to mind. She taught them about the Metkayina culture, about sign, and about their breath. Unsurprisingly, Kiri was doing the best when it came to breath-holding, though she was a bit daft when it came to language learning. Neteyam was the best when it came to that, picking up sign quicker than even Ao'nung was expecting.

Granted Neteyam might've been learning because everytime Sao'Nae saw him do something wrong she was eager to correct him, and all the meanwhile Tsireya made it her personal mission to teach Lo'ak herself.

But one day, Sao'Nae decided they didn't need to come to the shore, and after a lesson she glanced at the people she'd grown to see as friends and less like intruders who only came to Awa'atlu for escape, "Nicely done, you guys are coming along quick." She grinned, pushing hair behind her ear, "And lucky for you guys, you don't have to come here tomorrow. You've earned a rest."

Tsireya glanced at Sao'Nae in shock, "A rest? You haven't given a rest to anyone you've ever taught until they are perfect...why now?" She asked, not so subtly putting her hand next to Lo'ak's on the ground.

Sao'Nae chuckled and rolled her eyes, standing up and adjusting her hip-scarf and dusting off stray sand from her thighs, "I just need some time for myself. Mother has decided its time for me to start planning for my Inkimaya, meaning I must start the celebration planning and deciding what the tattoo shall be." She explained, "It seems mother's impatient."

Neteyam furrowed his gaze, "Your Inkimaya? What is that? What tattoo?"

Ao'nung nibbled on some dried kelp he'd brought from home and huffed, "It's a big celebration for a young Metkayina warrior. It's the sign of coming of age. Normally done if something extraordinary has happened in a teenagers life. It the symbol of growth. For each prized moment you can get a tattoo. It's kinda like a song-cord, but more so for your victories and not just key life moments." He explained, "Sao'Nae has tamed tsurak and even met her spirit brother. Therefore my father believes it is her time to get her first tattoo."

Tsireya nodded, "The night of your arrival it was decided. Mother said during her birthday would be the best time, meaning we only have a few months to plan, which is a very short notice."

Tuk gasped, "A few months is short notice?!" She asked, eyes wide and mouth dropped open. Neteyam, Kiri, and Lo'ak didn't seem too far off with their reactions, most likely wondering how much planning was truly needed.

Sao'Nae smiled, "Most Inkimaya's are smaller, normally just a celebratory dinner of the chosen ones choice, but since I am eldest daughter of the Olo'eyktan and the next Tsahìk of Awa'atlu, a large party is expected for me. The people have always enjoyed my families Inkimaya's. The last one being my father's." She said, " It'll require three weeks worth of hunting for the feasts, as well as building the fire and preparing drinks. It is a lot of work, most of which will fall on my shoulders. In the meantime, when the party starts, I'll get my tattoo done in front of the entire clan, and if I can take the pain in silence, then I will be regarded as a strong warrior."

Lo'ak rubbed his head and whistled, "Sounds like fun." He said with sarcasm, "With the Omatikaya we just have a ceremony, but it can only be done after like taming an Ikran and going through other trials. But three weeks of hunting? Yeesh."

Ao'nung nodded towards his sister, "Sao'Nae has been preparing for her great hunt for a long time." He said, "Training day and night before you tree-monkeys came."

At the very same time Tsireya and Sao'Nae hit him on opposing shoulders, listening to him Hollar in pain. Sao'Nae hissed, "Stop calling them that!"

Neteyam grinned obnoxiously and laughed, nudging Rotxo who was zoned out for most of the conversation as he stared at the blank stone beneath him, "Ao'nung, don't call them that." He said, staring at his fingers. Sao'Nae stared at her best friend for a second and furrowed the skin of her brows. Reluctantly she shook her head and glanced back at the Sully's