CHAPTER 24

CHAPTER 24
SCREAMING MATCH

Sao'Nae exited the Marui as quick as a morning breeze, storming down the paths while somehow maintaining her composure despite the fleeting anger rising in her stomach. She knew Ao'nung meant for the best when he spoke to her and Tsireya, but Eywa was he an asshole at times. Had he not shared the same womb-waves as her, she might've considered taking him out very early on. Perhaps a diving incident?

That's awful to think about. She told herself, pressing her lips into a thin line and shaking her head. Not never perfect eldest daughter of me.

Once she made it to the Tsahìk hut, she caught sight of her mother in front of a kindling fire---sprinkling herbs into it's inferno and listening to the crackle that emanated through the room. Ronal was humming loudly, hitting her chest with her free hand to create a beat, most likely a ritual of some sort. And Sao'Nae knowing better than anyone not to interrupt a Tsahìk at work, sat down across from her, careful not to make any noise.

The room was dimly lit, the only light being from that of the fire. The thick animal-pelt Sao'Nae had entered from was quick to shut as she made her way inside, snuffing out the natural brightness with ease and swiftness.

Unsure of what to do, Sao'Nae simply shut her eyes and listened to her mother, hearing the ancient hymns passed down from Tsahìk to Tsahìk since the first people. This was what Sao'Nae had grown up with. Much like this, whenever her teachings or trainings were started, she'd just sit and listen. Feeling each thing her mother felt, seeing the world through her eyes. It wasn't until Sao'Nae was around thirteen that she saw the world for herself, deciding in her own ways what was right and wrong.

Though those decisions were firmly based on things her parents and her people taught her.

After a couple of minutes of Ronal humming and sprinkling things into the flames, she opened her eyes, only the whites showing.

God that's always been freaky....

" Trr'ong, Tìkeftxo. Yawnyewla nìftxan 'ewan. Mune fya'o. Sao'Nae zene ftxey. Fu Sao'Nae zene spakat."

The words spat out of Ronal's mouth in broken Na'vi, the rough translation in English being---Sunrise, sadness. Broken heart so young. Two paths. Sao'Nae must choose. Or Sao'Nae must drown.

Not exactly the best things to hear from your mother...

Sao'Nae could only stare with wide eyes and her mouth agape. Of course she was shocked, I mean who wouldn't be? But then again, her mother was Tsahìk. The woman who interrupted the will of Eywa for the Awa'atlu village, someone the other Tsahìk's in the Metkayina clan looked up to. Someone Sao'Nae herself looked up to.

When Ronal stopped convulsing and her eyes fluttered back to their natural placement she looked at her daughter across from her, reading the surprised look on her face like she was seeing double.

" What did I say?" She quickly asked, leaning forward on her knees, eyes striking across the flames.

Sao'Nae licked her lips and looked around, " Uhhh....I'm not sure? Something about me choosing a path and being broken and sad during a sunrise? Roughly?"

Ronal stared now in disbelief, " I told you to come in here this morning specifically to see what would come of your future and you're telling me you weren't even listening?"