CHAPTER 12

CHAPTER 12
THE VILLAGE

For many hours Sao'Nae swam. She was eager to get away from Awa'atlu and finish her hunt, returning as a woman fit for the term huntress. The girl and her Ilu made small kills, regular fish, mainly for themselves before deciding it would probably be best to set up camp.

The first night they spent in a small plot of land out in the ocean, the place not even deserving to be called an Island. It was honestly more like a giant floating rock...

The next morning they took to the sea once again, this time traveling further.

Everyday Sao'Nae hunted, and everyday she got better. Her prey got bigger as well. She went from hunting things like the loudly yellows, to things like the sun fish. Faster fish. As time went on and days changed, she'd cultivated a unique skill. Turns out, she was a extremely gifted trapper.

And one day, when she was out in the ocean setting said trap, holding her breath under water---she saw a shadow cross her overhead. When she glanced up she nearly choked.

It was a group of Na'vi.

A young boy stared at her with amusement, shaking his head and signing, " Why hello there." Sao'Nae could feel his eyes guiding over her painted skin, beginning to understand why she was so far out in his waters, " First lone hunt?"

Sao'Nae nodded, " Yes. It has been four days since I took my leave. I am Sao'Nae." She greeted.

The boy quirked a brow, " Sao'Nae what." He questioned.

" Sao'Nae of Awa'atlu." She said, refusing to give her full name. She wasn't gonna let her family be her saving grace. It's not that she didn't like her family, it's just that she'd preferred to be known as just her.

The boy shrugged, " I am Kol'Zaro. Son of Olo'eyktan Gyambi and Tsahìk Tsitzari."

Sao'Nae nodded and smiled at the boy, " It is a pleasure to meet you, Kol'Zaro." She looked at him closely, noticing the many tattoos on his skin despite not looking much older than herself. She looked down at her trap and noticed she'd finished, setting it down and gesturing up to the surface.

Kol'Zaro and his friends nodded and followed her up, breaching and exhaling quietly. The boy smiled, " You can call me Kol. Everyone else does." He said, giving a wide boyish smile.

Sao'Nae nodded and smiled back, " Well if we're doing nicknames, you can call me Nae'Nae. Everyone else does." She copied, watching as he laughed.

Kol shook his head and gestured to his friends, " This is Nani, Orapopeté---we call him Pope, and Gida. My childhood friends."

" Hi!"

" Hello."

" Sup."

Sao'Nae nodded her head in greetings and looked around, " Could you tell me where I am? I know I'm probably far from Awa'atlu, but----"

Kol interrupted, " You're in Ta'unui. Near Atoll of the Eastern Sea." He said, " A very long way from home. A nearly four day swim on Ilu if you've indeed been out here as long as you say you have."

Sao'Nae nodded once again and glanced over the boy, " So, Kol. How old are you?" She asked, gesturing to his tattoos.

He laughed, " I am Nineteen cycles old." He said, " And you?"

" I will be eighteen in three days time."

Kol'Zaro grinned and slapped the water, " You must stay here to celebrate. I know you cannot go back to Awa'atlu until you finish your hunt, but that doesn't mean you can't come here." He assured, paddling towards shore, gesturing with his head for Sao'Nae to follow, " Come, Nae'Nae."

Pope, Nani, and Gida all followed, though Pope smirked and waved, " Come on, Kol doesn't just ask for anyone to see the village." He joked, starting to pick up his swims pace.

Sao'Nae stayed paused for a minute. Maybe I shouldn't...she thought. But then again, who wants to be alone on their birthday when others willingly want them around? So, against her better judgement, she huffed and started swimming.

Within a couple minutes they swam around the coast, coming up from that water at the shoreline. Kol had locked hair and a strong build, his eyes perhaps even more yellow than Neteyam's, a trait Sao'Nae believed to solely belong to Omatikaya people---though evidently that was false. When Kol came up from the water he was instantly swamped with children, many popping out nowhere.

" Kol! Kol!"

" WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN KOL?!?!"

" Did you hunt any monsters Kol!?!"

" Kol did you kill Tsawl'kxa?!?!??!?!?"

Immediately, without pause, the children began rapid firing questions. One after another children crowded Kol an his friends, asking so many questions Sao'Nae wasn't sure how he kept up. And then, as the enthusiasm cooled down, the children caught sight of the girl and her warrior paint.

Then FWOOSH, she was suddenly flooded.

" WHO ARE YOU LADY?!?"

" DID YOU SEE KOL HUNT?!?"

" Are you a warrior?!?"

" Why are you painted?!!"

" DID YOU HUNT A TSAWL'KXA!!?!?"

" WHERES YOUR TATTOOS????"

The children asked so many questions that Sao'Nae wasn't sure where to start, glancing over the children and smiling. She missed this. Back home she hadn't had time to work with the young ones, having been out on teaching duty for the Sully's. She didn't realize how much she missed it...

" I am Sao'Nae. A soon-to-be warrior of the Metkayina clan. The people of Awa'atlu." She introduced herself, " I didn't see Kol hunt, but I'm sure he is great. I'm not hunting Tsawl'kxa right now, but I am hunting Sting-Flags, very dangerous creatures. As for my paint it is customary that I wear this during my hunt, so that if other Na'vi find me they know that I am not an intruder. As for my tattoos, I will get my first once I finish my great hunt."

The children seemed satisfied and cheered, giggling at one another and poking each others sides. Kol smiled and rolled his eyes, walking over to Sao'Nae and putting a hand on her shoulder, " Okay you little monsters, leave miss Nae alone." He said, shaking his head and shooing the children, " I'm sure lady is very tired."

" awwwww." The kids said, walking away.

Kol glanced at Sao'Nae an smiled, " Sorry about that." He said, rubbing his head, " They aren't normally like that, I promise."

The girl chuckled, " Well, it seems your mister popular." She joked, " Didn't know I was in the presence of a celebrity."

Kol's face flushed, " I am not a celebrity. It's just that kids think I'm cool because I hunt alot. I'm also the youngest clan member to have so many tattoos, so they look up to me." He said, attempting to explain himself.

Sao'Nae laughed and started walking, " I'm just goofing." She assured, " So uhh. What do I do now?"

Kol scratched his head and thought about it, " Well, I guess seeing the Tsahìk would be the first order of business. I actually can't just bring people to the clan, so In order to make sure my father doesn't absolutely kick my ass, we should probably go see her."

Sao'Nae nodded, " Sounds good to me."