XLIV ; The Last Straw

The five men, caught in time—right at the place where the car they had rented to get around the United States was—have not moved an inch and are still in the same place where Minho and Hyunjin saw them before escaping.

The two vehicles at the ends of the road as well as the GMC sierra truck are also still part of the scenery.

On the ground, on the road, we can see traces that the tires of their vehicle left behind them just after hitting the truck.

Hyunjin and Minho now stand in the middle of this mess, a horrible feeling of discomfort haunting them.

– And now, what's the plan?

Frowning and hands on his temples, the swarthy racks his brain to figure out what they need to do to restore order.

– I don't know... Let me think about it...

Minho purses his lips between them and turns his gaze to the five individuals.

He doesn't even want to detail them. Just knowing that he is next to them gives him the sheaf.

These people are all like that man he met at the gas station earlier today.

They're all rotten that deserve to burn in hell.

– I might have an idea.

Hyunjin pulls the eldest out of his thoughts.  So he turns back to him and crosses his arms over his chest.

– Tell me?

– How about we recreate the moment...?  I'm willing to bet it's related to that. Your eyes had lit up a bit after the ambush. It must be related...

– You want us to pass between them with the car?

Minho's face expresses his confusion well.  He's skeptical, but who wouldn't be.

– Minho, I told you to trust me...

The swarthy looks desperate. He knows his idea is completely stupid, but if they don't try, then they will never get out of this predicament.

Eventually, the brunette ends up accepting the youngest's proposal and they go back to the car.

Seeing themselves forced to circumvent the mess represented by their installation for the ambush, they pass by the right, risking capsizing in the ditch not far away, but they manage to return to the other side of the road, where Hyunjin engages the reverse to finally position the car in front of them.

– H-Hyunjin, I don't remember a word of what we said that day... We can't recreate the scene if we don't know what we said...

Minho shows signs of stress that Hyunjin can only reluctantly ignore.

– Minho, concentrate a bit. Try to imagine time resuming its course.

A little destabilized by the behavior of the taller one, Minho is about to open his mouth again but he is quickly cut off by the sound of the machine's engine.

Hyunjin does not think, he presses the gas pedal and quickly approaches the men and the truck in the middle of the road, three or four meters from the men.

Minho's eyes widen and he clings to the handle above his door, on the right.

Hyunjin narrowly passes between the men and Minho lets out an incomprehensible exclamation given the metallic noise made by the collision of the two corners of the bumpers of the cars.

He goes a little further until he stops at the side of the road and checks his rearview mirror to realize that...

His efforts got him nowhere.

– You went too far, Hyun'!

The brunette exclaims, glaring at the taller boy as he takes off his seatbelt.

– You wanna be stuck in time for the rest of your fucking life or what!?

Insulted, he too throws a nasty look at the tallest, but he bites his lip to prevent himself from retorting. He shakes his head and opens his door, then slams it and starts walking away from the now damaged car.

Furious to see that the little one is ignoring him like this, Hyunjin wastes no time in almost tearing the seat belt off him, then in turn opens his door and gets out of the car.

He then remains planted next to it, his eyes riveted on the smallest who walks without looking back, his hands on his arms and his head lowered.

– You're not making any effort to help us!  Someone has to make sacrifices!

Again, Minho bites his lip to keep himself from responding with words he knows he might regret later.

He just keeps walking away, rubbing his arms with his hands.

– Where are you going!? Do you really plan to walk all the way to New York??

Hyunjin remains unanswered. He is devastated and the action of the oldest does not help his case, but whose fault is it really...?