Chapter 29.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? Perhaps that didn't apply for someone that commits murder 3 times a week. It had been a month since she last collaborated with Karina, but it didn't mean that she wasn't still under her control. With every name she crossed out, 2 more appeared.

It was a vicious cycle of receiving contracts and executing it within a limited time frame only for the list to grow longer. Ryujin constantly debated whether she should quit while she still can, she could easily run away and leave everything behind. But she wasn't willing to risk Yeji's well-being, she'd rather die than have her love get hurt.

Every life she took, she left a part of her left behind with the victim. She felt herself falling further and further into the unknown abyss, created from the guilt— the  sorrow that came with spilling the blood of innocent people. She knew that the people she killed were innocent, after each victim, Ryujin would search them up, read about them, scroll through their social media and learnt about who they were. Most were influential people with high rankings who were trying to make a difference in society; they came with high rewards.

Disgusted with herself, Ryujin spent countless afternoons and nights drinking to the point of unconsciousness. She'd scream at the top of her lungs, pain lingered in her throat as she pleaded with God or the Devil why she was damned in this lifetime.

When she laid on the cold bathroom tiles in a pool of her vomit, there was no escape from her torment. Countless visions of her victims pleading her for mercy as she slit their throats haunted her. Every morning she questioned herself, why was she experiencing guilt when she already murdered countless people in the past? She never cared for people, even if she did, it was for a small selected group of people.

Maybe it was because she allowed herself to experience the displeasure of sympathising for people. All the credits went to Yeji. She cursed her for teaching her how to warm her frozen heart. She shielded herself from her emotions, but once she lowered her defences, she felt the full force of what it felt to be human.
-

-

-
"Breaking News. The Grim Reaper struck once again. Previously known as the Infamous Hitman of Seoul, has taken their 12th victim this month. Here is Captain Moon with the public announcement:

This morning, a lawmaker has been found dead in his office by his assistant. Upon investigation, we found multiple contusions around his wrists from being bounded to a chair. The cause of death was a deep puncture wound in his jugular. He died immediately. The killer left behind a 2 of clubs playing card on his body; their signature.

Thank you, Captain Moon. The community felt the gravity of the lawmaker's death as they woke up this morning. Devastated with the news, many members of the public expressed their grief and condolences, leaving their letters of gratitude and flowers in front of the office. Here is what a member had to say:

Mr. Kwon cared for us. He was the only person that wanted change in our community, to keep us safe. This man was our last hope to save our life, now we are all going to die. Whoever killed him, FUCK YOU.

Emotional words coming from a member of public. The police department released a statement about the killer:

Due to the lack of evidence and the spontaneous picking of victims, this has made identifying the criminal greatly difficult. There has been no arrests made at this time, however, hundreds of interviews has been conducted since the attacks. We urge members of the community to contact the criminal activity hotline if they know something that could be of help."

Ryujin lifted her hand out to reach for the remote control to switch channels but a familiar name caught her attention.

"Ms Hwang Yeji, the CEO of HYJ has announced a grand opening of a branch in Japan. It is predicted that this bold move would generate a 20% increase in investments and profits for the architectural company. The CEO shared some words at her press conference earlier this evening: