Chapter 33.

"Ms Hwang, could you recall the events that occurred earlier?"

Yeji sat in the interrogation room, blankly staring at the detective's notepad in front of him. What did she mean by trust her? Her neck was still throbbing, she could feel the contusions forming as if the man's hands were still wrapped around her throat.

"Ms Hwang. We need your statement.", the detective said louder.

Why did I trust her? She didn't understand what made her say that. But she regretted it. She allowed her to slip away from her.

"Ms Hwa—"

"I was on the rooftop, I needed air. This.. this man came through the door, I don't know why. He said that he needed to kill me.", her words came out hoarse, she gently grabbed her throat to ease the pain.

The detective nodded as he listened along and wrote it down in his notepad.

"What happened after?", he asked without a hint of sympathy in his tone.

"He came closer to me, I took my phone and knocked him down. I tried running away but he grabbed me. Put himself on top of me and... and..", Yeji choked, her eyes began watering while she was forced to relive her trauma.

"And.. and what.", the man asked irritated. It was early in the morning, clearly wanted to get the interrogation over with.

She wiped the falling tears on her cheek with her sleeve, "And, he strangulated me."

The detective continued writing, "Okay, so how did he end up falling off the building?"

Shit. If she was to tell him the truth, she'd have to recall everything that happened between the man and Ryujin. She couldn't betray her even if she had broken her heart and left her on the rooftop.

"I managed to get him off. He tried attacking me again but he tripped and fell.", she said calmly, hoping the detective would hear the shakiness of her voice.

The man stopped writing in his notebook. Fear grew in Yeji's chest, sure that he saw through her lie. She closed her eyes, prompting more tears to drip.

"Okay. Thank you for your statement. You're free to go.", the detective said while picking up his belongings and notes and leaving the room without another word.

Yeji let out a huge sigh of relief and slumped over the table, her shoulders moving from her sobbing.
-

-

-
She stepped out the double glass doors of the police department. Her body was weak, she felt like she could collapse at any moment.

"Yeji!!", a voice yelled out.

The exhausted CEO ignored the call and stumbled down the stairs. A pair of arms suddenly wrapped around her body.

"Yeji, are you okay?", Lia asked as she sniffled. Chaeryeong and Yuna came around her and also embraced the pained woman.

Yeji dropped her head onto Lia's shoulder, crying uncontrollably. The girls couldn't contain themselves and cried along with her.

Lia let go of her best friend and gently cradled her head. Her eyes immediately darted to the purple bruises forming on her neck.

"Holy shit.", she slightly yelled. "What did he do to you?!"

"Not now, please. I- I just want to go home.", Yeji softly let out.

Lia nodded and took her into the car, sitting in the backseat with Yeji.
-

-

-
Once they arrived at Yeji's apartment, Lia took her into her bedroom. She offered to help her shower but Yeji immediately declined.