Chapter 44.

She slumped on her desk with her forehead resting on a tear stained paper, full of math equations which was way above what children her age were capable of. Rapid tapping on the calculator echoed in the study room. The young cat eyed girl turned around to see her brother completing his worksheet.

It was the same routine every night. They were driven home and was immediately forced to study until their parents were satisfied with their progress.

She was exhausted, her mind were filled with blurs of numbers and equations that made no sense to her. Most days, she sat at that desk wondering why she was damned with the burden that came with being a Hwang. Why wasn't she as gifted as Hyunjin?

The door creaked open, prompting the siblings to bolt straight up and stand beside their chairs. Their authoritative father slowly strolled into the room and scanned their desks for their worksheets. He made his way towards his son's table, he hummed in approval and gave one pat on Hyunjin's shoulder.

The young girl's palm began to moisten from her tight grip as he wandered to her desk. The man looked at the single piece of paper on top of the table. Without hesitation, he backhanded her across her face. She fell straight to the floor.

She stayed down, knowing that if she was to stand back up- another slap would be ready for her. There was no tears left to cry.

The daughter kept her gaze down at his feet as he walked back out of the room. Once the door shut, she dropped to the floor. She struggled to breathe through her tears, her cheeks throbbed with each rapid heart beat.

Hyunjin quickly ran to his sister's side to console her.

"I'm trying, Hyunnie.", she bit her bottom lips, trying to hold back her tears.

"I know. I'm sorry, Yejiyah.", he rubbed her back.

As the older brother supported her, the door quickly opened again. They both froze in their position and stared at the person at the door frame.

"Move.", the woman said sternly. Hyunjin immediately obeyed and stepped away from his sister.

Their mother kneeled on the floor, "Yeji. You have to try harder.", she said without emotions.

Yeji looked up at her with her eyes red, "I can't. It's just so hard."

"Keep going, don't stop. You WILL have a future.", Seulgi brushed her daughter's stray hair behind her ear. "I believe in you."

From that moment on, Yeji tried hard. She had to keep going. She had to persevere.
-

-

-
Why was she feeling grief for someone that died years ago. Especially for someone who aided in pushing her to her breaking point. Seulgi also contributed to her brother's death, she may not had been abusive as Wook Lee but she had high expectations for him.

She always pushed him to do more, to join extra curricular activities related to business, tutor her friend's children along with expecting him to juggle with having a social life and achieve nothing but As on his exams.

He was strong as stone but suffering from immense amount of pressure— he shattered. When Hyunjin was freed from the hell he was living, their mother cried for him. Yeji never thought she'd witness her vulnerability. Perhaps she thought that she was capable of loving, she was right.

Before Yeji left for university, Seulgi made an effort to ensure she would be living comfortably. Once in a while, she'd receive a message from her, asking about her grades, her social life and making ensure she ate.