2

I sat outside on the stoop of Pierce's house. I had texted my mom 20 minutes ago, but she never responded. Was she that mad at me?

I told Pierce that she was coming soon and I'd wait outside, but I was starting to regret that. Like I said before, I didn't bring a jacket and the weather only got colder.

I kept my arms crossed over my chest in attempt to keep myself warm but it wasn't doing shit. I shivered and shook in the breeze as my hair blew around my face.

I heard the door open behind me but I didn't turn my head to look. After a few seconds Pierce's large legs came into my view as he sat down next to me.

I watched him in my peripheral vision as he pulled out a carton of cigarettes. He took one from the box and stuck it between his lips. His hand came closer to me, causing me to dart my eyes over. He held the box out, offering me one.

I pulled my hand away from my body and grabbed one out of the package. Pierce closed it and set it down in between us as he extracted a black lighter from his pocket.

He lit the cigarette in between his lips quickly, cupping his hand around it to keep the flame from blowing out.

I placed the stick between my lips like he did and looked at him. He brought the lighter over to my face, so close I could smell his hand. Then he struck it, making the flame burst out from the top. It danced in different directions from the wind but never blew out. I pushed my head forward to catch the end of the cigarette in the flame.

Once it was lit he pulled his hand away and tucked the lighter back in his pocket.

He pulled the cigarette from his lips and exhaled smoke. It quickly dissipated in the air and carried away with the wind. I repeated his actions, and for a little while we just smoked in silence.

"I thought you said your mom was coming to get you?" He spoke up in a deep yet quiet voice.

"I thought so. I texted her but she never replied." I muttered as I blew smoke out of my mouth.

He didn't answer immediately, just sort of sat there in silence.

"I can take you home."

"You don't have to, I'm sure she's coming soon." I replied with a friendly smile.

"It's no trouble."

"Thanks, but I'm sure she's on her way."

I think I was just trying to convince myself of that.

"You sound like you don't want to stay. Got somewhere to be?" Pierce asked as he took a puff.

"Yeah, I'm supposed to pregame with a friend in like half an hour." I shrugged.

He nodded in understanding, "so you're going to get drunk to go to a party and get more drunk?" He motioned with his large hand that held the cigarette between two fingers. The way he said it seemed a little condescending.

"I call it a party appetizer." I smiled.

Pierce raised his eyebrows and nodded as he brought the cigarette to his lips and inhaled. No smile. No laugh. He didn't like my joke.

"I can drive you to your pregaming thing if you want." He suggested.

I sucked in a breath, "I mean at this point, why not? My mom isn't responding so I don't think I have another choice." I laughed.

He didn't laugh back. This conversation felt very one sided and flat. What was up with this dude?

I was getting close to the end of my cigarette and sucked in the smoke. I blew it out quickly before sticking down the end of the cigarette on the porch step. The ash fell off and colored the concrete as I twisted it down and dropped it.