12

I hit the door hard with my fist, creating loud pounding sounds that seemed to echo around me. No one answered. I honestly didn't want to be here and had no patience, so he better open up quick.

I knocked on the door once more before hearing a faint "come in!" that came from inside the house. I reached for the handle and let myself in.

"Pierce?" I called out into the seemingly empty house. It always felt so dark and cold in his house despite how nice and fancy it seemed.

"In the kitchen." I heard him huff.

My feet moved me towards the entrance of the room where I stood looking at him. He stood in a dark T-shirt and baggy jeans with his hair being held from his face by a backwards hat.

The fucking hat.

It was always the backwards hats that got me.

He had something spilled all over the front of his shirt and on the top of his hat. As I took a step closer I noticed it was also on his face. I squinted my eyes trying to make out what the fuck he had all over him. He stepped to the side and I saw his little sister behind him in a high chair. On the plate of the high chair was macaroni and cheese in a bowl and, well, not in the bowl.

It must be what he's covered in.

I laughed, "having trouble?"

He glared at me, not amused by my teasing as I saw the bright smile on Saturn's face.

"She looks like she's having a blast." I smiled as I dropped my camera bag gently on the kitchen table.

He sighed as he set the spoon down on the high chair plate and closed his eyes.

"Calm down Mr. Grumpy pants." I gave him a look as he opened his eyes, "let me take it from here."

"Go for it. Don't know if you'll get anywhere." He mumbled as he took a seat at the table.

I rolled up my sleeves and tucked my hair back before I picked up the spoon and dipped it into the bowl. I gathered some of the food on the spoon before bringing it towards her mouth.

She frowned and shouted, "no!"

I furrowed my eyebrows in thought before trying again.

"Here comes the airplane!" I started making airplane noises as I pretended to fly the spoon towards her.

"I already tried that it's not going-"

Pierce stopped talking when she happily opened her mouth and let me put the spoon in. I glanced at him with a smile on my face as she chewed the food.

"Oh fuck off." He grumbled with an eye roll.

"Shh!" I bursted out, "little ears!"

"Whatever." Pierce looked at me as I kept feeding her.

I always enjoyed being around children. But I don't know if I could ever have any of my own. They were quite annoying sometimes. And when they're not yours you don't have to put up with it, but that's not the case if you're the mother.

"What's different about the way you do it?" Pierce looked me in the eye as I put more food in her mouth.

"It's probably because I'm nicer. You're kind of mean." I titled my head to the side with a small teasing smile.

"I'm not mean."

"Okay, maybe just a little bitter."

"I'm not bitter."

"Debatable."

"It's not."

"Stubborn is what you are."