25

Pierce Bennett

"Because I wanted to kiss you." I said in a shaky voice to Allie up on the roof. She looked into my eyes and her expression softened.

Just then I was slapped back a couple years, to that night in the gym.

That night I had worn all black and a red tie. My hair was gelled, but not extremely. Just enough to hold it in the place it usually was. I was shorter, but not by much, maybe 6'1 at the time.

I was originally not going to go to the dance but Grayson had convinced me otherwise. He said I just had to go because it was our first high school dance. I reluctantly agreed last minute, shopping the night before and buying a ticket at the door.

School dances weren't exactly my thing. School dances still aren't my thing. The idea of jumping up and down to trashy club music in uncomfortable formal clothing isn't appealing to me. When we got there we danced a bit. Emphasis on "a bit." I'm not a dancer.

After half an hour, Grayson convinced me to go ask a girl to dance. I was hesitant, not wanting to put myself out there for a girl I didn't even like.

I didn't even pick the girl. He did.

Grayson pointed to a girl on the outskirts of people dancing. She looked lost, lonely, but pretty.

Kailey Steinbeck wasn't exactly popular or unpopular. She was always just there. Not in or out.

She had friends, so why she was all alone I'm unsure.

Grayson pointed his finger to her and pushed me to go ask her to dance. He shoved me out towards her and I walked slowly over to her.

She wore a light blue dress and her hair was pinned up. She had silver jewelry and sparkly silver heels.

I cleared my throat as I approached her, getting her attention.

"Do you want to dance?" I asked as the music faded into a slow song. A bright smile spread across her face. I knew her from biology, but other than that we never talked.

"Sure." She replied sweetly and I reached my hand out for hers. It was soft. I pulled us a little closer to the crowd. I rested my hands on her waist and she put her hands up on my neck. She could reach, given that she wasn't short. She was about 5'9.

We swayed to the beat, but my eyes traveled to the people around us. I spotted Allie. I spotted Allie attached to Chase Salinger. The douchebag she dated for too fucking long. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I thought back on what they just went through. Everyone knew that he had cheated on her and then she cheated on him to get back at him. It wasn't a pretty situation. That whole thing happened just the week before.

In the moment I wondered why the hell they were together still. Maybe they just planned on going to homecoming together before calling it quits? I was unsure. The sight of the two of them together made me sick to my stomach.

I stared at her. She wore a bright red dress that appeared darker in the gym. Paired with the dress was red high top converse. It was unlike Allie to wear heels to a dance, especially 14 year old Allie.

Her tan, toned legs looked perfect in that dress and it fit her body just right. Strung around her neck was a dainty gold necklace with one pearl sitting in the middle of her chest. Gold earrings went with it, but they were mostly covered by her curled brown hair.

She held onto him as they both laughed together. She had a big bright smile on her face and it lit up the whole room. I cursed Chase in my mind for not appreciating what he had. I looked at her with stars in my eyes, seeing only what I wanted to see.