34

Allie Crawford

3 months later

Days passed. Weeks. Months.

I finished the school year out and not very strongly. I barely scraped by in my classes, but I made it through.

I hadn't really seen much of Pierce throughout the school ending months. We didn't talk much either. The night of prom was the last time I spent time with him.

I missed him, but I felt like I didn't have the right to miss him. I didn't think much of it over the days.

I was glad that school was out to say the least. I was grateful for extra sleep and more time to myself, but I was nervous of isolating myself too much from people.

One day I was driving Dean's car back from the grocery store after picking up some items for dinner when I heard something on the radio.

I looked across the intersection as I tapped my fingers on the steering wheel and the sun shone into the car and warmed my skin.

"Next up is "Hell is a Teenage Girl" by new artist Pierce Bennett!" The radio announcer said and I swear to god I almost crashed the car.

"What the fuck?" I mumbled under my breath.

I turned up the radio and listened to the instrumental introduction. It was electric guitar and drums that sounded perfect.

The lyrics came soon after and I heard his heavenly voice singing.

"She's spinning out of control
Knocking back a bowl
Of Mary Jane and rock and roll
And on the weekends
She's in too deep, and
Chasing her pain with a shot
Of whatever's at hand
Playing with my waistband"

My mouth was wide open in shock the whole time. How the hell is Pierce on the fucking radio?

I took a detour from my trip home and sped towards Pierce's house. We hadn't talked in a while, but I just needed to ask him about this.

The song kept playing as I drove down the street.

"When I'm with her, she sends me for a whirl
And I know it, I just know it
Hell is a teenage girl
And I never learn,
But if hell is this teenage girl
Let me burn
Let me burn"

The chorus ended when I shoved the car into park, barely even in the driveway. His car wasn't there but it didn't deter me, it could be in the garage.

I ran up to the front door and banged on it with my fist, eager to talk to him about this. After 30 seconds with no answer, I knocked again. The response still didn't come and I wondered if no one was home.

I turned around and began to walk down the porch steps when I noticed it. A for sale sign with a giant red "SOLD" pasted on top of it.

"What the hell?" I murmured as I looked at it harder.

He moved?

He's gone. He's really gone.