27

one week later

It was Friday and I had never been happier to see the end of a week. I was ready to relax all weekend, or party. One problem though. I hadn't done my photography assignment for this week. Last week when Pierce and I took pictures of that willow tree was the last time I had talked with him. I figured he might approach me to talk about this week's project but he never did. I hadn't seen him except in P.E. class, but he never even looked at me, much less talked to me.

After 3rd period, right before the last period of the day, I tracked him down in the hallways.

I noticed his tall figure and light blonde hair that sat perfectly on top of his head. He walked at a quick but relaxed pace and seemed unbothered.

"Pierce!" I said somewhat loudly, trying to get his attention in these crowded halls.

He didn't turn his head so I shouted again, this time louder. I was trying not to run through the hallway like a loser.

When I caught up to him I grabbed his arm and he stiffened as if he hated the contact.

He didn't look at me.

"Pierce, when are we gonna do my photography thing? The week is pretty much over. It's due at midnight tonight."

He didn't say anything. He didn't even glance at me as we walked side by side.

"Pierce?"

"Do the assignment yourself, Allie." He snapped.

It caught me off guard considering I had never heard him use a tone like that.

"Excuse me?" I furrowed my eyebrows at him.

"I think you heard me."

"Did I do something to piss you off?"

He scoffed.

"Dude, what?" I raised my hands up.

"Are you seriously going to act like you did nothing?"

"Well, considering I don't know what the fuck I did then yeah, I am." I shook my head.

"Allie, you know what you did!" His voice was raised more at this point and it was scaring me. Aggressive men always triggered me because they reminded me of my father.

"I don't."

He rolled his eyes.

"I swear on my life. I have no idea what we're talking about, really."

"Jesus." He mumbled, "you fucked Chase."

My blood ran cold and the air now felt stale. I held my breath accidentally and stared into his green angry eyes. The people around us had quieted down once we started bickering and they all heard his last remark. Everyone knew.

I stood stiff as a board, feeling the stress run through my body.

"H-how did you know?" I managed to mutter.

"Chase seems to talk a lot in the locker room."

"I-"

"And to think you did it on the same day we hung out." He interrupted me, "you are unbelievable, Allie."

I heard snickers and laughs from the people standing around.

"Please let me explain."

"What's there to explain?"

"Can we please just talk about this in private?" I said as tears brimmed my eyes.

"Why? Are you ashamed? Maybe you should be." He spat.