23

Pierce Bennett

"You ready?" I asked Allie as she stood in front of me holding her bag. It was Friday now and we were supposed to leave an hour ago, but someone hadn't packed yet. By someone I mean Allie. Allie hadn't packed yet. The drive there was 2 hours long and we should've been on the road long ago.

I looked down at her in a pair of sweatpants, a long sleeve shirt, and a puffy jacket over top.

"You know we're not there yet, you don't have to dress like it's below zero." I said in a low voice which earned me a glare from her pretty face.

"I'm trying to be prepared." She answered.

"Let's go." I snapped my fingers, "Grayson and Jasmine are going to be waiting on us for like an hour."

"Okay, mister bossy pants." She mocked me by snapping her fingers and began to walk towards the front door with her bag.

We finally left after she loaded her bag into the trunk. There was about half an hour until it got dark and I was really trying to avoid driving all the way there in pitch black.

She turned on the radio once I started driving and flicked through the stations for what seemed like forever.

Sometimes I loved the way she seemed like she needed to be in control of everything. Other times I...didn't. I don't understand why she can't just let things be sometimes. But, you know, without it she wouldn't be Allie.

"OH!" She shouted almost making me swerve, "I like this song."

She stopped scrolling through the stations and we listened to "Jessie's Girl" by Rick Springfield. She sang along loudly and I tried not to smile. Despite how she bugged me sometimes, she was adorable.

No matter what she did, I always thought she was cute. I had felt this way since middle school and it was quite hard to undo the mindset. It would take a lot for me to not be into her anymore.

I guess I wasn't open about it with everyone, but it was quite apparent that I had a thing for her. Our friends seemed to know, but she was oblivious to it.

She used to claim that I hated her. Which couldn't be more far from the truth. I've never hated her, don't think I ever could. She was too deeply rooted in my heart for me to hate her. 

Liking Allie was like a second nature to me. It was like breathing. Not something you have to think about, you just do it. I've never found it difficult or something I had to sit on. I just felt like I always knew. 

She listened to music the majority of the way there and I thought about her the majority of the way there.

When we arrived it was pitch black and damn near 7:30pm. Grayson and Jasmine were cooped up in his car the whole time we were gone and I felt a little bad that they had to wait. I unlocked the door to the cabin and blasted the heater, before running back out to get the bags.

There was snow on the ground, not much but enough to cover the driveway. I was wearing boots that made it easy to walk in the snow and a couple layers of clothing.

When we were all inside I shrugged off my jacket and threw it over the back of a chair.

"What took you guys so long?" Jasmine asked as she was still shivering.

My eyes scanned over to Allie, "someone was unprepared."

"I would defend myself...but I got nothing." She shrugged with a smile. Her hair was in two braids going down her chest that were a little messy and disheveled. Stray hairs stuck out the sides and the rubber bands holding the braids in place were uneven. I wouldn't expect neatness from Allie anyway.