30

Pierce Bennett

I clicked the red inked pen in my hand about 30 times in 15 seconds. I was stressed. Sitting here in my room at 7pm by myself. It was a Saturday night and I had plans. I was humming the tune to a song I just made up.

It was different than any other song I had made before. This one was more soft and quiet. And hurtful. I never took that approach to music, it was always loud and chaotic. I breathed out a breath.

I walked quickly to the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror. I had to bend my knees a little to see the top of my head in the mirror as it wasn't the same level as I was. I brushed my hair back with my fingers and stared into my green eyes through the mirror.

I clenched my fists a couple times, releasing them each time to expel some tension.

I walked back into my room and grabbed my black electric guitar off the wall and placed it in the case. I grabbed all the equipment for it and placed it with it.

I almost left the room. I made a last minute decision. I walked back in and crouched down by my bed, reaching my hand underneath and pulling out my acoustic guitar. It was in its case, and it hadn't been touched in a while. It was the first guitar I ever got and learned on, but now I didn't play it much.

I grabbed all of the instruments and equipment and walked downstairs.

"You headed out?" My dad asked me as he sat at the kitchen table with his laptop.

"Yeah."

"Good luck. You'll do great."

"Thank you." I replied with a tiny smile.

"I'm sorry I can't make it, I'm swamped with work."

"It's okay." I nodded.

I left right after the conversation and piled all my things into my car.

I took a deep breath before turning the key in the ignition and backing out onto the street.

If you're wondering what the hell I'm doing then I'll tell you.

A couple weeks ago my dad told me that it was a shame that I played all this music but no one ever heard it. He told me again and again I should get out and play it for a crowd. I turned it down, saying I was too nervous and it'd be a waste of time.

A couple days ago he told me he signed me up to play at a late night cafe music show. I cursed under my breath when I heard about it. He told me I couldn't back out of it because they desperately needed a person to play some music. There were 3 sets where each musician/band got to play 3 songs. The songs could either be your own or a cover.

I slowly got over my anger about it and decided it wouldn't be that bad. I wouldn't say I'm necessarily looking forward to it but I just wasn't entirely pissed off.

I also was getting paid a little bit of money so it wasn't that bad.

Soon I arrived at the location and entered through the back door that lead to behind the stage. The place seemed packed by how many cars were outside.

When I was behind the stage I heard the first band playing some kind of folk music. It wasn't bad. The manager of the cafe came up to me and introduced herself and offered me a water bottle.

"Pierce, is it?" She smiled at me.

She was a short young woman who seemed maybe in her early 20s.

"Yeah."

"Welcome to Cafe Romero. I'm Stella Romero." She smiled and stuck her hand out to shake it.

I nodded and reached my hand out to shake hers.