Chapter (59) Fifty-Nine ~ ...seeing you again

"You've gotta let me go in first, Steve," I argued as the two of us made our way to his building, Sam on lookout on a rooftop nearby.

"Olivia-"

"Steve, I'm not helpless. Even if he did start punching, I would be better at taking him down than you would."

"It's been two years since I've even heard from him, Oliv."

"I know. But it's been two weeks since I did." I confessed. "Alex gave me a letter from him when she last visited. He gave me a P.O. box address so I could write back."

"That's how you figured out where he was." Steve scoffed, obviously upset that I didn't tell him about my contact with Bucky.

The two of us continued our walk up to Bucky's apartment, Steve ignoring my pleas for him to stay back. When we finally got to his door, I easily opened it with my powers, and the two of us slowly stepped into the empty place.

I smiled sadly as I looked around the apartment, seeing a beat-up couch pushed up against the iland, a ratty matrice pushed up against the wall across from it. Steve walked around, sticking his nose in Bucky's things while I stayed off to the side.

"Don't touch that." I quickly said, noticing Steve opening a notebook that was on top of the fridge. "And stop snooping. He's a trained assassin. If he wanted to hide something, you of all people wouldn't find it."

"What's that supposed to mean?" He asked, setting the book down.

"Heads up, guys. German Special Forces, approaching from the south." Sam said over the comms, making me sigh.

"It means you still think of him as your best friend from Brooklyn who could do no wrong."

"And you don't?" He challenged.

"No. I know Hydra's made him do things. Things that have changed him forever. I will never get that Bucky back, but I don't really care. I'll take any part of Jamie I can get. The same should be for you, too."

"Thanks, doll." A rough voice said behind me, making me turn.

"Do you know me?" Steve asked, a light bit of hope in his voice.

"You're Steve. I read about you in a museum, and Olivia talked about you in her letters."

"They've set the perimeter."

"I know you're nervous, and you have plenty of reason to be. But you're lying."

"Steve." I hissed, turning to him.

"I wasn't in Vienna. I don't do that anymore."

"They're entering the building."

"Well, the people who think you did are coming here now. And they're not planning on taking you alive."

"That's smart. Good strategy."

"They're on the roof. I'm compromised." Sam said as the rushing sound of footsteps could be heard.

"This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck."

"It always ends in a fight." He sighed, looking down at his left hand.

"Five seconds."

"You pulled me from the river. Why?"

"I don't know," Bucky said as he took off his left glove.

"Three seconds."

"Yes, you do."

"Breach! Breach! Breach!"