Chapter Ten

Jenna Rivers was tired of searching for Ronin Logan. It had been almost an hour since she lost sight of him, and now he was nowhere to be found. It was annoying, really, to keep tabs on him as if he were some two-year-old toddler who didn't know what he was doing. But she couldn't leave him alone either. They would kill her.

In fact, alone time had been exactly what she had been looking for since the day she returned. But Ronin had been playing not only deaf but blind, too, to all her advances. It was as if the boy she had grown up with, the one who was madly in love with her, didn't find her as desirable as he did once upon a time.

Perhaps that was the reason, she wanted to see it for herself, to see if her assumptions were right and not something her mind had made up out of jealousy for his ex-wife. Clearly, that would be I N S A N E. Ronin would never fall for the witch. Never.

Fortunately, she had run into Erik Logan a while ago, and he was much too kind to inform her that Ronin had gone down to his room to answer a call in quiet, away from all the loud music and commotion of the people on board. And hence she found herself standing outside his suite door, ready to knock and seduce the bloody hell out of him.

"Ronin? Hey, honey, it's me. Jenna. Open the door, please."

Two minutes passed but no one answered the door. Jenna frowned and knocked twice more. "Ronin? Are you in there, darling?" She turned the knob, but nothing happened.

She frowned harder. "Did that Erik fucking Logan lie to me?" She muttered to herself, glaring at the door that was obviously locked. She shook her head and looked around. When an elderly couple walked out of their room and passed her, she smiled kindly at them, she smiled sweetly to them, brilliantly masking her annoyance. They returned her smile with nods of their heads. They were heading towards the elevator.

Jenna ran a hand through her hair and dialled his number one more time. It went to voicemail.

"Where in the freaking hell are you, Ronin?"

Jenna's shoulders stiffened when she heard someone gasp and bark out loud profanities. She had just halfway turned towards the elevator when two giant men slammed into her.

They growled at her, looking angry and in a rush.

Jenna gasped, determined to tell them off, but she didn't get the time to. The men had left before she could even steady herself against the wall.

Weird! She thought to herself.

"Oh, my sweet lord, kid, are you okay?"

Jenna's ears perked up, and she spun back to the voice, only to realize the elderly couple were hovering over someone in the elevator.

"Yes, yes," said the guy, wheezing and grabbing his side. "I'm all right. Thank...thank you."

Jenna could never mistake that voice for anybody else's.

She ran down the corridor, gently moved the elderly couple aside, and came face to face with Ronin Logan, who looked pale, befuddled, and completely dishevelled. He had a cut on the bottom lip and a bruise under his right eye. The suit he was wearing had creases that weren't there back when she had seen him on the deck a while ago.

"What the hell happened?" Then, she remembered those two giant men, and her jaw dropped open. "Did they do this to you?" She helped him leave the elevator, trying but failing to support his weight. It seemed like they had scored him badly. "Who were those men? Why would they do this to you? Ronin? What's happening?"

Ronin slumped against the wall, gasping for air, and tossed the keys to his room to Jenna.

"If only I knew." He scoffed, feeling the cut on his lip and wincing. "But they couldn't finish the job for sure."

"What do you mean didn't finish the job?" Jenna opened the door and watched as he dumped himself on the couch and took off his suit jacket, the side of his white shirt was soaked with blood.

He had been stabbed.

"What was the job?" She gasped, her eyes wide with dread.

"To kill me, of course," Ronin unbuttoned his shirt and tried to take a good look at how much damage had been done. He winced, a drop of sweat rolling off his cheek. "Wow, that looks nasty. They really did a number on me this time." He sighed, gazing up at Jenna and pointing at the bathroom. "I believe I noticed a first-aid kit in the cabinet. Can you get it for me?"

Jenna was too busy staring at the blood. But once she heard Ronin snap his fingers, she blinked back to reality.

"First aid kit. In the bathroom cabinet." Ronin said, stressing each word with a little force.

Jenna nodded hastily and dashed into the bathroom.

However, before getting the first aid kit, she made a brief stop at the sink and hurled her guts out.

A/N: Dammit, who's trying to hurt Ronin?