Chapter Sixteen

Carmen was at a loss for what to do next

Carmen was at a loss for what to do next. She knew she had to get off the cruise ship, but after that, her mind was too numb to plan anything. If Molly found out what Simon had done, Carmen was certain her best friend would unleash her wrath upon him without any regard for the consequences. Perhaps that's why Carmen was hesitant to call her. What she really needed at that moment was to be alone, somewhere quiet, where she could reflect on her life and all the decisions she had made.

After Simon left, Carmen found herself taking a cold shower, changing into a fresh pair of clothes and ordering something to eat in her suite. But as soon as the room service arrives and Carmen looked at the food, she realized she wasn't even that hungry. Ronin's words from that morning came back to her, and she felt her cheeks flush with embarrassment once again.

It wasn't as if she didn't know how his opinion should be the last thing she should be worried about but something about the way he looked at her that morning had left a mark. No matter how much she tried, she couldn't shake it off. Carmen was pretty sure that in the nine months of their marriage, not once Ronin had looked at her that way, like there was so much he wanted to say to her, but didn't. Not sober at least.

The only time she remembered him looking at her with such intensity was when he had come home drunk from an office party. That night, as he stumbled into her bedroom by mistake, he pushed her forcefully against the wall and pressed himself against her until she had no choice but to look into his eyes. She remembered the way his breath smelled of whiskey, and the way his eyes were filled with an intensity that was both frightening and exhilarating.

Carmen shook her head, pushing the food tray away, feeling guilty for wasting it. She stood up and walked towards the glass door leading to the balcony. With a deep breath, she slid it open, and the warm breeze of the day hit her face. It was a welcome feeling, and she stepped out onto the balcony, feeling her clothes flapping in the wind. She leaned against the railing, watching as the waves crashed against the side of the ship. The sun was high in the sky, casting a golden glow over everything it touched. The sea was a deep blue, and Carmen couldn't help but be mesmerized by its beauty. She closed her eyes, taking in the smell of salt and seawater, letting the warmth of the sun seep into her skin. It was a moment of peace and solitude that Carmen desperately needed.