Chapter Twenty Three

The pool party on the cruise was exactly as Carmen had envisioned—noisy and packed

Standing on the upper deck balcony, she watched the thick crowd below, devoid of any room to move or breathe. Carmen couldn't help but flinch, fearing getting lost in the sea of sweat, booze, and pulsating music.

This was clearly not the place she belonged. The last time she found herself in a similar setting, she had gotten extremely intoxicated and ended up passionately making out with Simon in the back of his car. That encounter had sparked yet another source of stress in her life, one she didn't want, but found herself unable to resist.

Tonight, she had no intention of swaying like a drunken palm tree or being trapped in someone else's arms. She was here because Molly didn't want to go alone, and she was hoping to see Simon so they could finally have the talk that had been giving her anxious butterflies in the pit of her stomach since she made up her mind.

Truth be told, Carmen was nervous. So damn nervous. She didn't know what to do or how to express what she wanted to say—it was all so jumbled in her head. She used to believe she had it all worked out, that she would come clean and tell him what she wanted, but now that she was finally here, seconds away from tracking him down and tugging him to the side so they could talk, she felt like a fish out of water.

Breathless, as if she were dying.

"Oh, look at you," Molly sang softly by Carmen's ear, causing Carmen to startle at the sound of her voice.

"What on earth?" Carmen's heart raced as she placed her hand over it, frightened. "Seriously? Do you get some sick thrill out of scaring the living daylights out of me?"

Molly smirked, her eyes flashing. "Oh, chica, it's all in good fun," she winked at Carmen. "Consider it a friendly reminder that life's full of surprises. Besides, watching you jump like a kangaroo on caffeine is pure entertainment."

"Ha ha!" Carmen rolled her eyes, shaking her head. "It was not funny."

Molly raised an eyebrow, her smirk morphing into a grin. "Oh, come on, Carmen," she teased, bumping her shoulder playfully. "You can't deny that your reaction was priceless. I haven't seen someone nearly leap out of their skin like that since... well, never."