Chapter Forty

After getting the address from his hired detective, Ronin decided to put his chat with Grandpa Edgar on hold and zoomed straight to Weaverville. Just as the detective had promised, he made it to the town in a quick twenty-minute drive and found the address in just a few more minutes.

Once he pulled over and got out of his ride, Ronin double-checked the address to make sure he was at the right spot—so far, so good.

But man, the guy was feeling all sorts of emotions—nervous, anxious, you name it. He was desperate to uncover the truth, no doubt about that, but at the same time, he was scared to find out something he wouldn't like. What if the attacker turned out to be someone he knew? What if the folks behind all this were way more dangerous than he thought? And worst of all, what if their reasons for coming after him were totally out of his control? In that case, how the heck could he talk them out of threatening him like that?

Ronin pushed all his worries to the back of his mind and shrugged his shoulders. He couldn't back out now, he had to confront the situation head-on. There was no room for doubt or hesitation. Just in case things took a turn he didn't want, he had discreetly tucked a gun into the back of his pants, hidden beneath his suit jacket.

Ronin took another look around, trying to calm himself down. The neighborhood wasn't as quiet or upscale as he was accustomed to, but it seemed livable enough. Houses lined both sides of the long road, with trees adorning the front yards. Leaves littered the sidewalks, and people strolled by with their children or dogs. Dinner was still a while away, so he hoped he would catch Natalie Griggs before she attempted to escape.

Though he sincerely hoped it wouldn't come to that. He didn't intend to cause any trouble. All he wanted were some answers, and as long as Natalie Griggs provided the information he sought, he wouldn't make her life any harder.

Ronin glanced back at the house he was meant to be in and noticed a young child in the front yard. The kid couldn't have been older than seven, engrossed in sculpting something out of cRonin looked back at the house he was supposed to be in and noticed a young child in the front yard. The kid couldn't have been older than seven, completely absorbed in sculpting something out of clay, like a school project. His short dark hair stuck to his tiny head as he remained focused, glancing at Ronin only once as he walked past.

An old swing on the porch became more visible as he carefully made his way up the gravel path leading to the house. Seated there was an elderly woman, absentmindedly weaving. She wore loose light pants and a pale blue shirt, her grey hair neatly tied up in a bun. Her skilled hands weaved furiously, as if they had mastered the whole journey to whatever they were destined to become.

Before climbing the steps, Ronin paused and greeted the old woman.

Upon hearing his voice, the elderly woman halted her weaving and rested her hands in her lap. Her aged eyes squinted at him, as if attempting to remember where she might have encountered him before, the memory escaping her. "I don't recognize you, young man. How can I help you?"

Ronin fidgeted, his hands shoved into his pockets, trying to conceal the restlessness and anxiety he felt inside. "Um, I'm here to see Natalie. Is she home?"

"Nate?" the older woman pondered for a moment. "Oh, she's definitely here," she said, shaking her head, then called out over her shoulder, "Nate? Honey? Someone's here to see you. Don't keep the young man waiting."

As she resumed her weaving, her gaze remained fixed on the man on her porch. She continued trying to recollect if she had encountered him somewhere before. Her memory used to be sharp once, but now it was a constant maze of mysteries and confusion. She furrowed her brow, sighing in frustration with herself.