Chapter Twenty Six

"It happened so fast," Carmen uttered, her head buried in her hands while perched on the couch in Ronin's room

"It happened so fast," Carmen uttered, her head buried in her hands while perched on the couch in Ronin's room. "I didn't even realize what was going on, and he just pulled me into the hallway and locked me in one of those rooms."

She was still struggling to comprehend the whole ordeal. How did she become the focus of someone's obsession? It was incredibly difficult to grasp, not to mention absolutely terrifying. She couldn't even fathom the consequences if Ronin hadn't come to her rescue in the nick of time. Her thighs were still shaking just thinking about it.

"That jerk really knows how to play the charming prince," Ronin muttered quietly as he placed a glass of water on the table in front of Carmen and leaned against the sliding glass door that led to the balcony. "What happened to your phone?"

"He took it."

"And what did he say he would do once he returned it?"

Carmen took a deep breath and nervously fidgeted with the hem of her skirt. "He wanted a definitive answer."

"Answer to what?" He raised an eyebrow.

"That I was ready to commit myself to him."

A prolonged silence followed, causing Carmen to question if Ronin had even heard her. Finally, she mustered the courage to look up and saw him wearing a deep frown.

"He proposed," he stated, rather than asked; it seemed like the silence was merely him piecing everything together. "And you turned him down."

"Yeah," she sighed, twirling a strand of her dark hair around her finger. "Something like that."

"I thought you liked him," Ronin said, his voice tinged with a hint of jealousy, or so Carmen thought. But she couldn't be sure; she was still struggling to make sense of everything that had transpired.

"I thought so too."

"So what changed?" he asked, his face unreadable.

"Well, it turns out I don't handle lies very well," she replied, directing her words to him. "I guess I'm just weird like that."