Chapter Eighty Seven

The car ride to Grandpa's place felt longer than it should have been.

Carmen had only been to Grandpa's Villa once. It was around the time of Ronin, and she was newly married. During that time, Grandpa invited them for the weekend to hang out before he left the States for more travel.

It was also when Carmen noticed how much Grandpa Edgar spoiled his younger grandson. She'd never seen him act so playfully with anyone, not even his own two sons. Ronin and Grandpa used to have lively conversations full of arguments and playful banter, something Carmen noticed Ronin enjoyed no matter how indifferent he tried to act at times.

A hand on her lap pulled Carmen out of her thoughts. She glanced down at the hand first, and then trailed her to the man to whom it belonged.

His dark green eyes were already on her when she caught him gazing.

"Don't think too hard. I'm sure there's nothing to worry about." He tried to assure.

But of course, Carmen knew better. "If only that was true."

There was no way Grandpa wanted to see her for nothing. Deep down, she knew something sure had come up. What? That, they both needed to find out.

Ronin surprised her holding her chin and making her face once more. This time, he was frowning—wondering. "Do you trust me?"

Now, that wasn't the kind of question she had expected to come from him. Not so soon, anyway. It wasn't because she still harbored doubts about his intentions or sincerity towards her, but uttering those words aloud brought her face-to-face with her absolute vulnerability.

To Carmen's utmost surprise, despite the disastrous marriage that once existed between them and the seemingly endless hatred that had marked their history, she couldn't bring herself to say that she didn't trust Ronin.

For some reason, trusting him felt as natural as breathing air. Even though she had been burned not once but twice by the same question, she didn't hesitate to take this leap of faith and nod. "I do."

Ronin's expression softened, and a flicker of relief crossed his eyes. "That's it, then," he said as he stroked her cheek with his thumb, a gentle touch that made her smile a little. "No matter what happens today, tomorrow, or the day beyond that, just remember that I'm always here for you. I can—and will—fight anyone for you. Just remember that. Okay?"

Those words meant so much to her. She couldn't help but reach up and kiss him on the lips. He kissed back, of course, holding her gently and letting her know that he was the right man—the only man she needed by her side to face whatever Grandpa had in store for her this time.

The rest of the drive was surprisingly spent with both of them making out in the back of the car. She hadn't expected a sweet kiss to escalate for that long, but when it did, she didn't have any complaints either. It did make her feel a little better to see that, like herself, Ronin too couldn't keep his hands to himself. His lips were all over her—or at least wherever they could reach—while she sat on his lap and explored his mouth and skin with just as fiery intensity.

Eventually, they pulled away, breathless but content. Ronin's eyes held a mixture of desire and tenderness as he gazed at Carmen. "Did I ever tell you that you're so damn beautiful?" He slid his fingers up and down her sides, squeezing her and earning a quiet moan from her thoroughly kissed mouth.

Not capable of a verbal conversation for the time being, she simply shook her head, pouting a little.

Ronin chuckled and cupped her face with one hand. "Well, you are. The most beautiful, in fact. The absolute best."