Chapter Fourteen

Carmen stormed out of Simon's suite, her heart racing and tears streaming down her face

Carmen stormed out of Simon's suite, her heart racing and tears streaming down her face. She couldn't bear to hear another word from him, not after what he had just said. All she wanted was to be alone, to sort through her jumbled thoughts and try to make sense of the pain she was feeling.

Simon's desperate calls echoed in her ears, but she ignored them, consumed by the storm of emotions raging within her. Her heart felt like it was being crushed under the weight of betrayal and heartbreak, and she could barely breathe through the suffocating pain.

As she stumbled down the hallway, she felt a sudden urge to escape, to flee the ship and leave all her troubles behind. But she knew deep down that running away wouldn't solve anything. She needed to confront her feelings head-on and come to terms with the harsh reality of her situation.

Her mind raced as she walked, replaying the hurtful words Simon had hurled at her. She couldn't believe that the man she had trusted and admired with all her heart could be so callous and cruel.

Despite the chaos in her mind and heart, she managed to make her way to the elevator and pressed the button with shaky fingers. As she waited for the doors to open, she took a deep breath, trying to calm herself down.

When the doors finally slid open, she stepped inside and leaned back against the cool metal wall, letting out a shuddering sigh. The elevator began to descend, and the sound of the ocean outside filled her ears, a soothing balm to her frayed nerves.

But even the calming sound of the waves couldn't quell the storm raging inside her. She knew she needed time to herself, time to grieve and process everything that had happened. Only then could she begin to pick up the shattered pieces of her heart and start to heal.

As the elevator doors opened, the salty breeze of the ocean hit her, and she stepped out into the serene surroundings. Carmen slipped off her heels and swung them to and fro as she made her way to the small pool area. The sound of the water lapping against the pool walls was soothing, and Carmen sank down at the edge of the pool, bunched up her gown on her thighs, and lowered her legs into the water.

She took a long swig of the beer, a few of which she had grabbed on her way up, letting it numb her pain for a while. It was hard not to think about what had just happened, how the men in her life had only let her down. Her father was the only person she trusted completely, and she wondered if he would be the only one. The thought of being alone in the world made her heart ache.