Chapter Eight Three

It was the fifth day of Carmen's stay at Ronin's mansion—the old home where she had spent the most painful nine months of her life—and everything had been smooth so far.

Despite Molly and Jasper's keen interest in the love lives of their respective best friends, Carmen was happy to admit that they hadn't doubted a thing, or at least it didn't seem like they had caught on to anything. And that was a relief she couldn't describe in mere words.

However, a part of her couldn't deny that having to keep this affair a secret from the person she trusted the most was something she felt immensely guilty about. But then again, what other choice did she have? She didn't want to rush into anything. Was it wrong for her to be careful with her heart and feelings? Was it selfish of her to put her desires first?

Carmen sighed, turning over to the other side of the bed and allowing her not-so-sleepy gaze to fall on the window, watching as the curtains floated with the soft breeze of the night. It had been hours since she went to bed after dinner and bid goodnight to Molly, but sleep hadn't been kind to her, abandoning her in the middle of the night and leaving her without even a wink of sleep.

Another deep breath, and she sat up with her back pressed against the headboard, reaching for the lamp on the nightstand and switching it on. She poured herself a glass of water before placing the glass back on the table. Letting her head fall back, she shut her eyes, taking a moment to simply think.

After a long while of doing nothing but sitting in silence, Carmen checked the time on her phone and almost groaned. It was only a few minutes past midnight. Why the hell was she so restless at this hour? She wondered, annoyed with herself.

Feeling an itch of restlessness that refused to fade, she decided to step out of her room and head for the kitchen, hoping a late-night snack was something she was craving unbeknownst to herself.

The hallway had a soft, dim light as Carmen stepped out of the room and headed downstairs. A few night lights strategically placed provided a subtle glow to guide her way. The familiar creaks of the old mansion echoed under her steps, making the silence of the night seem even more profound.

But this routine was nothing new for Carmen—she had done it countless times, waiting for Ronin and hoping he'd show up before morning. It didn't feel strange for some reason. And even though it had been a while since she'd been there, it felt like a trip back in time to when their marriage still existed, even if only on paper.

Carmen's fingers trailed down the bannister until she reached the last step. But before she could turn toward the kitchen, she noticed the lights on in Ronin's room. A frown creased her forehead. Why was he awake at this hour? Could he be feeling restless, just like her? Or was there something else keeping him up?

The curiosity was real, and despite knowing that approaching his room at this late hour meant nothing but trouble, her curiosity won. She found herself gently knocking on his door, waiting for him to answer if he was still awake.

After what felt like an agonizing wait, the door creaked open, revealing Ronin's tired yet alert face.

"Hey," he mumbled, tipping his head to the side as if curious himself, one hand on the door while the other on the wall. "Why are you still awake? Is everything okay?"

Carmen hesitated for a moment, her eyes searching his face for any signs of the thoughts that might be racing through his mind. "Couldn't sleep," she admitted, her voice as soft as a feather, offering a small, almost apologetic smile. "Seems like I'm not the only one."

The corner of his mouth lifted while his shoulder leaned against the doorway, his chest rising as he sighed. "Yeah, something like that. Wanna come in?"