Chapter Eighteen

As the lift doors slid open, Carmen stepped out into the atrium of the ship, her senses immediately assaulted by a cacophony of noise and activity

As the lift doors slid open, Carmen stepped out into the atrium of the ship, her senses immediately assaulted by a cacophony of noise and activity. The giant pavilion was teeming with people of all ages, each one eager to enjoy the various offerings of the luxury liner. She could see kids darting around, shrieking with laughter, while the staff rushed to assist the tourists with their queries and needs. The air was thick with the aroma of different cuisines emanating from the numerous restaurants and eateries. Youngsters were milling about, chattering excitedly as they made their way to a trendy restaurant, their faces alight with anticipation of a fun-filled evening.

Carmen felt overwhelmed by the bustling atmosphere around her. She tried to weave her way through the crowds, but it seemed like everyone was going in a different direction. The sound of laughter and chatter echoed throughout the atrium, creating a disharmony of noise that made it hard to think.

As she walked, she noticed the intricate details of the ship's design. The walls were lined with gold and marble, and the floors were polished to a shine. The ceiling was made of glass, and the sunlight streamed through, casting rainbow reflections on the walls.

Carmen felt a pang of envy as she looked around and saw the happiness and togetherness that surrounded her. Couples strolled by hand in hand, families snapped photos with giant smiles on their faces, and groups of friends chatted and laughed over drinks. She wished she had someone to share this experience with, but her thoughts inevitably turned to Simon. He was here with her, but he might as well have been on the other side of the world with how distant he was acting. Carmen couldn't understand why he was so intent on keeping her in the dark about his secrets.

She knew that Simon had a reason for keeping her in the dark, but she couldn't help feeling hurt by his behavior. His actions had changed the course of her life, and she felt that she had a right to know the truth behind his motivations. After all, he had helped Jenna run away from her own wedding with Ronin, and Carmen couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to the story than what she had been told.

Carmen's mind was heavy with thoughts as she weaved her way through the throngs of people. She yearned for a quiet space where she could process her emotions. Eventually, she found solace in a remote corner of the atrium, where she could detach herself from the hustle and bustle of the crowds. She leaned against the railing, her gaze fixated on the endless expanse of the sea, the sound of the waves lapping against the hull of the ship filling her ears. She let herself be lost in the tranquility for a long while, feeling the cool breeze play with the strands of her hair and the hem of her dress.