Chapter Ninety Seven

Carmen and Ronin stood in front of the warehouse, watching the old structure burn.

Several men and women had crowded around the property while the cops and firefighters tried to get the raging fire under control.

"If there was anything that could be used against him, it's probably burnt to a crisp by now," Ronin sighed, furious that he did not see this coming.

James Logan had been part of their family since an unknown time. He was a Logan by blood, a man he trusted beyond any reasonable doubt. But looking at what he had done—all the chaos he had made out of their lives—and the wrongs he did to their family, he felt beyond enraged.

Carmen felt his pain and surprise. She held his hand and linked their fingers. "We'll find something for sure. Don't lose hope."

He shook his head, his eyes growing darker. "I just want to hear it from his mouth that he was the one who hurt Willow. I have to know if he did that to her."

Carmen didn't know what more to say. She wanted what Ronin wanted too. She wanted Willow to get the justice she deserved. She wanted Ronin to find calm after this storm had passed.

"We'll get him," she said to him, and maybe more to herself. "I promise you, he'll pay for what he had done."

A silver SUV pulled up behind them. Ronin and Carmen turned around to find Jasper and Molly rushing out of the car.

"Oh, my God, are you okay?" Molly met Carmen midway. "Jasper told me what happened. We were on our way to the hospital, but then Jasper got a call from Ronin," her eyes shifted to the fire, and she sighed. "This is horrible."

Jasper reached the trio, looking just as tense. "Are you both alright?"

Carmen managed a weak smile. "Physically, yes. Emotionally, not so much."

Molly put an arm around Carmen's shoulders, offering comfort in the midst of the chaos. "We'll get through this." She gave her a gentle squeeze, before shifting her gaze to the two males. "What's the plan now?"

Ronin's gaze hardened. "We need to find James. He's behind all of this. We need to expose him and make him pay for everything he's done." He turned to face Jasper. "Did you get in touch with the detective?"

"Yeah, I just got off the call with him a few minutes ago," Jasper ran a hand through his hair. "Your Uncle James has quite the past. Did you know he was once arrested for almost killing a guy?"

Ronin looked thoughtful. "I overheard Grandpa on the call once. But he never talked about it, and neither did Dad. They must have thought that we would treat James differently if we knew. Besides, we were young. By the time we were grown up enough, none of that mattered."

Jasper shook his head. "Yeah. He was apparently involved with a real nasty crowd, lost all his money in gambling. He also had a woman he swore he loved once, but she also ditched him when he didn't change his ways."

Ronin's expression darkened. "Well, it looks like our dear Uncle James is a real piece of work."

Jasper nodded grimly. "The detective thinks he might have connections to some criminal organizations. We need to tread carefully."

Ronin clenched his fists. "We can't let him get away with this. He has to pay for what he's done."

Jasper agreed. "We'll gather whatever evidence we can. Once we have enough, we'll bring that bastard to justice."

But Carmen wasn't sure if evidence alone would be enough. The way James had taken care of the warehouse, call it intuition or whatever, but she knew it wouldn't be a cakewalk to nail anything against him. He had already thought this out. Perhaps he always knew his actions would sooner or later come back to bite him in the ass.