Chapter Sixty Nine

"How long is it going to take?" Someone huffed, not sounding happy. "It's already been three days."

"Give it some time. Her body has gone into shock due to the accident. The way she was brought in, you should be glad she at least survived," another one replied, tired.

"I understand, but I'm sure there must be something more you could do. She can't lie like that forever—"

"Enough with you two," a new voice chimed in, and then came the touch that settled on her forehead and stroked until Carmen's half-awakened mind lulled back to sleep. However, not before the same gentle voice whispered into her ear. "Let her rest."

* * *

"Why isn't she waking up, Aunt Will?" In the darkness of her mind, a soft voice rippled in the distance, too far away to be real. "You didn't tell me about any of this."

"I didn't know this myself, I swear," a voice filled with remorse and sadness arrived. "It's happening when I'm still in a coma, you see. They all must have decided not to tell me about this."

"Mommy," the girl cried.

"Come on, Alice, let's go. Someone is coming."

* * *

The soft rays of the morning sun streamed through the filmy curtains and rested upon Carmen's face, tickling her skin. Her beautiful features twisted in the softest of frowns, as if a bad dream troubled her sound sleep, while her eyes stirred gently beneath her eyelids.

Clutching the sheets tightly on either side of her, she whimpered upon realizing how stiff her body had grown. Her spine felt as if it had been stapled to the hard surface underneath her for centuries, and her whole body felt heavy with sedatives. God, what did she eat last time? She felt as if she had been hit by a train and now was left to gather the pieces in the right places.

Speaking of which— Carmen's eyes cracked open in a jolt and fell straight on the white ceiling and a strange object hanging at the center. It took her fuzzy mind a whole two minutes to realize the object was a chandelier— the one she didn't remember ever seeing in her apartment.

Apartment. Grandpa. Ronin... Panic set in deep in her stomach as the memory of the crash played like a movie in front of her eyes, tears spilling out of them as a dull pain rose in her chest and overwhelmed her deeply. She remembered the screeching tires, the shattering glass, and the feeling of weightlessness as her world quickly turned upside down.

The faint antiseptic smell lingering in the air and the soft beeping of machines nearby indicated that she was in a hospital, but when she blinked and tried to sweep her gaze around, her frown deepened. The room looked anything but a hospital room.

The interior resembled a lot like a fully furnished hotel room of some seven-star property. There was even a floor-to-ceiling glass wall with only half of the curtains in place, while the other half were shoved to the side, as if someone had deliberately left it open to let the natural light in.

With barely any strength, she sat up, groaning and wincing, determined not to give up. Her body felt weak, and a strange feeling kept tossing and turning in the pit of her stomach. The pads of her fingers brushed her forehead, only to feel a band-aid preventing her from examining where the dull pain kept pulsing and pulsing...

"Oh, my..." Someone gasped, and Carmen turned her head in the direction from which it came.

Near the door stood a woman in a servant uniform. Her mouth opened in a gasp while her eyes swelled with shock. "You're awake. She's awake."