Chapter Twenty Nine

"Slow down, damn it! I can't understand a single word you're saying," Eric Logan frowned as he pressed the phone against his ear

"That jerk... room... locked," Ronin's urgent and furious voice came through, while Eric stared at the wall in front of him, struggling to comprehend his brother's message. It all sounded like gibberish and fragments, as if the network had completely failed where he was.

"Ronin, where are you?"

"I... idea... small... took... men..."

"What?"

"They... Carmen."

"Damn it, man. Try moving around. The network is messed up!"

"They... took Carmen... What the fuck? Can you hear me now? Damn it...!" The phone call abruptly cut off.

Eric lowered the phone and stared at the screen. After Ronin explained Simon Walsh's obsession with Carmen and how he had locked her up to extract a confession, Eric became increasingly restless and furious. Who did that man think he was?

That despicable bastard!

Eric paced the room madly, trying to calm down but failing to shake off the edge that he seemed to be growing closer to as the seconds ticked by. It was obvious that he wanted to be part of the action. He wanted to be there for Carmen when she needed someone the most. And even though Ronin and Jasper were doing everything they could to keep her safe, he felt uncomfortable and irritated.

Once upon a time, Ronin had ruined any chance he had with Carmen when his brother and grandfather convinced her to take Jenna's place at the altar. It was the most infuriating day of his life. That day turned him from a caring older brother to someone who was angry and jealous all the time. If Ronin wanted a replacement for his bride, his brother could have literally anyone in the entire world.

But no, he chose Carmen—the one woman Eric truly loved—without the slightest ounce of shame or regard for his elder sibling.

Eric never forgot or forgave Ronin for that day. He never would. But he didn't have time to dwell on the past. Right now, his brother needed him, and so did Carmen. Maybe this was the one opportunity he had been waiting for all this time. The chance that would bring Carmen closer to him.