𝐢𝐢. 𝐢 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐞

▶️ pretty when you cry - lana del

ii. I PROMISE

~~~

IT HAD BEEN A YEAR since Odair had won the games and the only thing keeping Thea going was that she got to finally volunteer. She knew that Odair would be mentoring since he won last year so she wouldn't have Jasper; that is why she decided to see him before the reaping. He lived in Victors Village with Diana, and now Finnick. It wasn't abnormal of her to go over there from time to time considering he was her mentor but some of the older Victors didn't appreciate having someone who hasn't endured what they had to on their sacred ground. Which is understandable. but she really needed to see him. It was the last full day before the Reaping, meaning tomorrow she'd be whisked away to the Capitol.

She pounded her fist on the door, not loud enough for it to echo throughout the village, but it was definitely loud enough for Dennis to hear. He stumbled to the door, opening it with a bottle of liquor glued to his hand. she knew he liked to drink, to drown out the memories and the tormenting voices. but right now she really needed advice.

"Little rock, please do enter the humble home," he laughed, gesturing for her to come in. The bitter cold nipped at her neck, despite District Four's blistering heat. It was the frigidity of the village and how almost rundown it was. It was unwelcoming, the colour of the sky and the sand muted into dull colours.

Dennis leapt onto his couch, placing the liquor down. "What do you need?" he could tell something was off about her. She wasn't beaming with the usual need to get in the arena. Thea was more closed off, because right now, she'd normally be rambling about her tactics and how she would run head-first into the bloodbath. But she wasn't. The girl was staring off at the fireplace, admiring the coals. "Hey?" Dennis reached to place his hand on her shoulder. She accepted it, feeling a wave of normality overcome her, letting her slowly drown in the thoughts what weren't of the games and winning. She thought of her family. Her mother, who she inherited her hair and her strength from, her brother, who gained his wits from his late father. She thought of dennis, he was pretty much a father figure to her, she looked up to him, especially after her father died; he was there. He supported the family as much as they could. And even he couldn't deny that Thea was like a daughter to him. Her mind even drifted to Finnick; the boy she had hated for the entirety of her childhood. The boy that won the games and came back a man. The boy who she hesitated to volunteer for because she knew that he wouldn't come back alive. The new Finnick was unbearable, and she understood why. But she would soon understand the entirety of it. Every single building block as to why Finnick Odair was beyond fixing.

Just in a matter of time.

"Whats wrong, Thee?" Dennis' voice was low and gravelly, not out of anger but from the cigarettes he'd smoke. The air in the capitol was too clean for his liking, it was like someone put his lungs in a pool, high in chlorine content, leaving his lungs spotless. He missed having the normal amount of pollution in his airway. But when he go back to Four he couldn't quite get the same shitty air quality as he did before he left for the games. So, cigarettes it was.