Only This Time I Wasn't The One Blushing

I sat up with a jolt as I escaped from yet another nightmare. I got them every so often when I was at high school...and uni I suppose, it was just something that happened and I eventually just learned to get used to it. Only this time it was different. My breathing. I. Can't. Breathe. I thought to myself as I tried to inhale a little deeper but nothing worked. I had gotten panic attacks a couple of times before and I generally knew how to deal with them, but this time I just couldn't. I quickly grabbed my phone and called the first person I could think of. Brad.

"Soph?" He said as he answered the phone, his voice tired as if I obviously had just woke him up.

"Brad? Brad are you there?" I said, forcing the words out through my irregular breaths.

"Yeah, yeah Soph I'm here, are you alright?"

"N...no." I replied, as I could feel tears starting to roll down my cheeks.

"What is it? What's wrong?" He asked, as his voice suddenly became less tired and more worried.

"I..I think I'm having a panic attack." I said between heavy breaths.

"Okay, sit tight I'm coming over." Replied Brad.

"No, no its okay. I'll...I'll be okay." I lied. I did desperately want Brad, but it wasn't fair to have him traipsing over here at 2am, just to see me.

"Soph, it's fine. I'm coming over." He said, which made me smile a little, but that was soon subsided by the fact that I still couldn't breathe properly. We both hung up the phone and a few moments passed until Brad turned up at my door. I carefully made my way down the stairs, trying to slow my breathing down slightly but it wasn't working to well. As I opened the door, Brad was stood there, still in his pj's and clutching a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. He quickly threw his clothes onto the floor and caught me as I practically fell into him. "Hey," He whispered, supporting me with his muscular arms.

"Hi," I breathed, almost laughing a little, as he helped me up the stairs again.

"What happened?" He asked, as he placed me on the bed, to allow me to lie down again.

"I just had a nightmare. It's stupid really. I used to get them all the time when I was in high school."

"Because of the guys?" He asked.

"Yeah," I replied, sighing a little as I laid down. I saw Brads eyes connect to the floor, and I could see that he immediately took the blame. "Brad, it's not your fault. It wasn't you." I added, as he gave me a small smile.

"You feeling any better?" He asked.

"Actually...yeah. I am," I replied, smiling back at him. "Thank you so much for coming over,"

"Well I couldn't just leave you here on your own." Said Brad, as I could feel my eyelids growing heavier.

"I'll be on the sofa if you need me." He whispered.

"You don't need to do that!" I said as he got up.

"No, no it's okay, really. I'll be fine." Brad added, making his way to the door.

"Brad..." I whispered, making him turn around. "Will you um...will you stay with me?" I asked, feeling butterflies grow in my stomach.

"Of course I will..." He replied, laying down next to me as I smiled at him. "Come here," He added, wrapping his arm around me as I nestled into his chest. "I don't care what anyone says...the guys were wrong about you. They always have been, but me being as stupid as I am..."

"Brad..." I interrupted, looking up at him.

"No it's true. I was so oblivious to everything that was happening, I just went along with it rather than doing what I knew was the right thing, and doing what I wanted to do."

I almost froze as he said 'doing what I wanted to do' the phrase spun around and around in my head. What is he saying? What did he want to do? I smiled at him as I returned my head to his chest.

"This isn't just a cheap excuse for you to huddle into me is it? Because I'm wayyy ahead of you Graham." Said Brad, mocking what I said to him yesterday.

"Damn it!" I said, also going along with what Brad had replied with.

Only this time I wasn't the one blushing...

***

I woke up in the same position I had fallen asleep in, still wrapped in Brad's arms, and surprisingly, I didn't mind being there. I could tell there was something about Brad that felt responsible for everything that had happened, but part of me wanted that to disappear. I didn't want Brad to feel accountable for it because he was the only one that actually tried to help, which still surprised me.

"Morninggg," He said, his voice raspy and soft as he looked down at me.

"Morning Simp," I replied, smiling at him.

"Shall I go do breakfast?" He suggested.

"You don't have to make breakfast for me!" I said.

"But I will..." He replied, making me smile once again.

"Alright," I whispered, as he removed his arm from under me and slipped off of the bed.

"Come down when you're ready okay?" Said Brad as he slipped out of the bedroom. I laid in bed for a little longer, smiling up at the ceiling. Why is he making me so happy? If someone had asked me three days ago about my opinion of Brad, I would have told you that he was just another on of those egotistical pricks that hung around with Jack, but he's different. He's not full of himself, and he's definitely not what I thought he was.

I lent over, clicked on my phone and saw that I had a twitter notification, it was a private message. While getting up, and making my way downstairs I quickly clicked on it, not even thinking about who it was from. It read;

Hello Sophia. Glad uni is over? Ha. I bet you are. I just want you to know that Brad, well, he always was a bit of a push over, and I know you see him as a very talented person and all of that soppy bullshit, but he's still one of my friends, so I really hope you don't think he's any different to me. He's really not. Anyway, enjoy your life, I hope I never have to look at that face ever again. Jack.

I froze in the doorway of the kitchen as I read the message. I couldn't believe Jack could be such a jerk. Well...I could believe that actually, but the message reminded me of the whole reason why I didn't trust Brad in the first place. He was one of Jack's friends. I mean come on, I've known the guy for what 3 days? He's already spent the night at my house, and he's in my kitchen making me breakfast? Get a hold of yourself Sophia. I said to myself.

"Are you okay Soph?" He asked me, whisking up the contense of a bowel. "Soph?" He repeated as I still didn't respond.

--------------------

Hey Guys! Please keep reading, commenting and voting! Also feel free to follow me!

Much Love

Phoebe xxx