Chapter 23 | web of secrets

Looking down at the pictures, L was silent. He had no idea what he'd just seen, but it sent chills up his spine.

"Wow..." he muttered.

"I know... it's like a yandere" you replied.

"Clearly Mikami is enamoured with Light in some way. I can't tell if it's love or a godly worship... or both..."

The two of you were the first to the club room, waiting for the others to finish their class. It ended slightly later for them today, they had a test. It gave you and L time to think about what this all meant, if it was connected to the killings in some way.

"I think he faked those messages to try and break Light and Misa up, but it backfired and he just ended up trying to fight you" you explained.

"I think so too, clearly he wants Light all to himself. I wonder how Takada plays into all this, if he wants rid of her too..." L replied.

You'd barely heard from the ware-cat in this whole case you knew she was involved with the killings, but exactly how involved you had no idea. Light clearly wanted her around for some reason, since he was basically two timing her and Misa. Maybe she was being blackmailed in a way similar to Misa? Or maybe she was just as deranged as Light but was good at keeping it hidden.

"Once we get the details from Misa and we catch Light, maybe everything will crumble and unfold in the trail... but I feel like Mikami has his own motives here. I mean prying Misa away from Light has literally nothing to do with them wanting to 'cleanse the school'. In fact it'd be BETTER for them if they all worked together. Clearly he's got some alternative motive here" you said.

L sighed, already stressed from all the school work that came with being a gifted kid and solving this case. Now another factor had been thrown into it... He slumped over the desk and groaned in annoyance.

"This just keeps getting weirder and more complicated, can't they just stick to writing edgy diary entries or something? Not committing actual crimes?" He sighed.

"I know, they're all whack. If only there wasn't anything at risk here and we could just dump everything on the police..." you replied.

L picked himself back up, pulling the keyboard for the computer over.

"Well... guess we better get this months paper done. We can fill the others in when they get here" he muttered.

"Oh yeah I need to update the blog. Headmistress wants us to post about the new lunch menu changes..." you replied, pulling your laptop from your bag.

Opening it, you turned it on only to find it was in the middle of an automatic update. Great, now you'd have to wait and waste more time. Rolling your eyes you pushed it aside to let it load and instead grabbed some paper from the stack in the middle of the desk to mess with while you waited. Being bored in class all the time you'd picked up a few tricks with paper, you could fold it into some fun things. It was the cool thing to do back in primary school, make chatter boxes, flowers and cranes.

You thought for a moment, what should you make? Glancing over at L who was already stuck into his work, you got an idea. Folding it into various triangles and pushing the corners in and out to form new shapes, you made a frog. Taking a pen from the pen cup you drew some eyes with eyebags on it, and two bite makes where the neck would be.

"Hey L" you said.

"Hm?" He replied.

You flicked it onto his keyboard, and he picked it up not expecting a paper creation to land in him.

"It's you" you teased.

L snickered, realising it was a vampire frog with his eyebags.

"Haha, very funny" he replied, balancing it in the top of his computer monitor.