Vol 1. Chapter 13: Flashback Chapter [2] - The Price of Survival

[Kurushima Pov] 

[Flashback]

"Aoki, please don't disturb me. I need to practice 'Für Elise,'" I announced with full motivation and determination as I ran to the music room.

Aoki, looking bewildered, asked, "Young Master?" Then, with a graceful bow, he said, "I shall do that."

As Aoki went to the kitchen to prepare dinner, he muttered, "Madame, Sir, you two truly have a kind child."

I had promised Kaori and Kyō that I would play "Für Elise," a solo piano piece composed by Beethoven, once again.

I had played it before, but I was so bad that I was embarrassed. Despite this, they liked it.

Out of that singular reason I wanted to show them how 'Für Elise' should be played. That's why I prepared myself for three months for this moment.

There was no specific reason for choosing "Für Elise" over other piano pieces. I just wanted to learn and play this masterpiece by Beethoven, one of the most important pieces in classical music history.

Unfortunately, I'm not very good at music, and it took me three months of practice to master it. Normally, I'm quick to pick up every new thing I try on the first try, but music is not my forte.

I really don't have any musical talent...

However, I won't give up.

As their older brother, it's my duty to learn other pieces as well. With newfound enthusiasm, I practiced for another hour until I heard the door open and close downstairs.

Rushing downstairs, I saw a broken and crying Aoki on his knees in front of me. "Aoki?" I asked, seeing sadness all over his face. He hugged me and exclaimed, "Young Master, it's about your family."

"Aoki, what do you mean?" I asked, confused.

Aoki took several deep breaths and spoke. "Young Master, your family was in a car accident," he said, not finishing the sentence.

"Car accident?" I exclaimed, shocked. "Is everyone alright?" I asked, feeling anxious.

Aoki bit his lips and said, "Young Master, I'm here to inform you that no one survived the car accident." He hugged me even tighter.

"That's a joke, right?" I asked. "Aoki, it's a joke, right?" I repeated. "Aoki, please tell me it's a joke," I exclaimed, suddenly feeling the stroke of realization punching me.

I felt my breaths becoming shorter and shorter, until I was gasping for air, seeing Aoki's crying figure the last time, before everything went dark before my eyes.

[8 Hours Later]

"Huff," I gasped out, as I woke up in a...hospital? I saw Aoki next to my side, looking at me worried.

I turned my head and saw the doctor walking towards me. "Good to see you're awake now," he said, checking my pulse. "Your heart rate is still elevated, but it's getting better."

"What happened?" I asked.

"You had a panic attack, Young Master," Aoki interrupted, as he and the doctor had small eye contact and the doctor left the room.

"Panic attack?" I asked, completely surprised. "Where are mother and..." just as I wanted to speak their names out, I felt memories from yesterday evening flooding my mind.

My heartbeat increased again, however, I felt one person holding my hand dearly, making me calm and stabilizing my heartbeat to some extent.

It was Aoki.